Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 04:45:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 20, 2024, 05:57:01 PM]

[September 19, 2024, 02:20:37 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 01:48:54 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Shoot thru hull/Shoot me thru the head  (Read 6627 times)

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Looking into getting a FF for my Cobra Navigator and am getting a cluster over all
the different units. I'm interested in good quality resolution,ease of use,clear imaging of bottom and distinctive fish image,etc. How do you mount transducer on a yak? Is speed,temp,gps all that important? Also,any recommendations on a decent
battery setup? Any input regarding these few trivial questions would help cool down
what's left of my brain.
Thanks Rich

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I'll start with my battery setup.  Basically it's a cheapo watertight container from Wal-Mart.  They have several different sizes, so you just need to grab one that fits the battery you choose with room for wiring.  I chose a 5Ah Werker battery from batteriesplus.  It was like $25 with a charger. 

I rig it to the yak by simply clipping the built in strap to one of the cargo lines inside the hull.  It's not shown attached here, this just shows the wiring connection, I used a trailer lighting attachment (one of many recommendations I got from the guys here)

I mounted the FF unit in front of my steering pedals:

Here is the transducer mount.  I had to coat the inside of the foam with silicone because it's porous foam and would slowly leak out while I was fishing.  I got the foam from a 3$ gardening pad from Wal-Mart

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I admire your utilization of the front bulkhead of your foot-wells as a place to mount your FF. I think I'm going to use a RAM mount and relocate mine there so I have a spot for a RAM Revolution rod tube front and center. Very nice water-tight enclosure and setup with the trusty trailer plug too. 
:icon_thumright:

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Thanks.  There aren't any really new ideas in my setup.  Everything was just an adaptation of something I saw or read on our site.  I just improvised materials for what I found available.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I wasn't sure I would need the GPS functionality of my FF/GPS, but now I am glad I have it.  Let's me mark bait balls, and crab trap drop locations.  Let's me track trolling pattern.  Also nice to know you are actually making headway in a stiff wind and your actual direction of travel.  Off shore 1/2 mile or more it is often difficult to judge speed and direction.  It was a comfort in the fog on Puget Sound, though dogs barking, ferry fog horns, and trains running along the shore were enough for basic orientation.

demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Cold Blue Steel

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
I assume that you fill the transducer "hole" with water.  It looks like the foam you used used is rather thin, no problem with the transducer working its way up so no longer in contact?

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
The foam is 1/2 or 3/4 inch thick.  It fits very snug, and doesn't come out, even after dropping the yak - don't ask me how I know.

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Very nice install Lee! :thumbsup:

One minor suggestion for anyone following in your footsteps though is to place the transducer further back or forward (I like it under the seat with the cable lead around the scuppers). That way it's not in the way when you use your center hatch for storage.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Very nice install Lee! :thumbsup:

One minor suggestion for anyone following in your footsteps though is to place the transducer further back or forward (I like it under the seat with the cable lead around the scuppers). That way it's not in the way when you use your center hatch for storage.

I originally had it further forward for exactly that reason.  It made it difficult to put the water in though, so I moved it closer to the hatch. 

If you put if further forward or back, I would recommend goup method, and not water fill.

holtfisher

• Lingcod
How about using a basting bulb-tube or what ever it is called that is used on turkeys????? Thus giving reach.
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

squidgirl

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
holt.. you had it pretty much correct. its called a baster...

SG
"Life is short lets go fishing"

SantaDan

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2009
For those of you that have done this before, what are the advantages of using the water method vs. goop method.
thanks, Dan

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
Makes things a lot easier to use the same FF and transducer on different boats. Also easier to move things around if you don't like the location of the transducer.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Makes things a lot easier to use the same FF and transducer on different boats. Also easier to move things around if you don't like the location of the transducer.

Also, you don't have to worry about trying to scrape out the epoxy if you end up getting air bubbles trapped under your transducer.

As offered on the PDX Meet-up thread, I have bunch of thick closed cell foam if anybody needs some for a 'ducer install.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Also, you don't have to worry about trying to scrape out the epoxy if you end up getting air bubbles trapped under your transducer.
Copy that. Ripping a 1 cent piece of foam to bits trying to get it out is a lot less stressful than doing the same with your spendy little transducer. And we'll all be selling our yaks someday...

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy