Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2024, 08:07:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 04:07:42 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

[August 16, 2024, 10:59:48 AM]

[August 16, 2024, 10:48:42 AM]

[August 15, 2024, 11:50:49 AM]

by [WR]
[August 14, 2024, 09:59:17 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: wooden kayak cart?  (Read 5226 times)

redfish85

• Lingcod
  • sunrise OK Prowler T13
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Ok as the title ensues I'm wondering the effectiveness/longevity of a simple wooden yak cart made out of 1in dowel in a simple H shape with 8in wheels... thoughts, concerns, ideas all welcome.  This would be used with an OK Prowler 13T if that helps any...

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
There are a few items that most every kayak fisherman makes(or tries to make) themselves at one point or another in their time with the sport... A cart is one of them.  Go for it dude!  Oh, and we want pics when it's done!  ;D

(Wooden dowels probably won't cut it.  PVC is a better choice.  ;) )

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I think that's one of the greatest things about kayak fishing, everybody thinks they can build a better/cheaper mousetrap. One thing most of us will agree on when it comes to carts, if you're going to roll on sand for any duration or distance, you better start saving $ for a Wheeleez. :-)
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

ronbo613

Water + wood is not a great combo for a kayak cart. Use PVC. Easier to work with, more durable and waterproof.

Here's how to build a simple PVC kayak cart. Add your own ideas.

The cart is the photo is about 4-5 years old, still works perfect. It has been used in deep beach sand, rocks and mud. $700 for Wheeleez wheels? I don't think so Tim. You can use Wheeleez, but when a $25 cart will work just as well, why would you? 

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
The cart is the photo is about 4-5 years old, still works perfect. It has been used in deep beach sand, rocks and mud. $700 for Wheeleez wheels? I don't think so Tim. You can use Wheeleez, but when a $25 cart will work just as well, why would you?

Well, it's not really $700 for Wheeleez.   ;)

And I don't think a $25 cart will work just as well as Wheeleez for the sand and loose gravel launches I frequent.  For my money, a Wheeleez cart is one of the best kayak fishing purchases I've made, this after years of refusing to believe.

-Allen

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
The first time you try to drag a loaded yak in loose sand with a cart on skinny wheels, you'll wish you had the Wheeleez cart. The second and third time plowing the beach will affirm how well spent that money "would-have-been". (I now have the cart)

That said, I heard of a guy slipping sections of extra-large pvc over the 10" wheels to give him more surface area on the sand. Anyone else try that?
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I lucked out on my Wheeleez purchase.. occasionally it goes on sale at REI and I used my 20% off annual membership coupon and shipping was free (or I could have picked it up at the local REI).  I think I spent $150 shipped.   Right now if you have the 20% REI coupon $200 shipped is still the best price you'll find online.

I made a PVC cart once.. It worked fine for my kayak if it wasn't loaded and the ground was hard and fairly even.  I took it to tournament in Elk, CA where there is a 1/4 mile 15% grade trail followed by a 150 yard soft sand beach to get to the launch.  I loaded the kayak onto the cart, added my fishing gear to the top of that and I made it about half way down the hill when my PVC cart basically exploded. 

If you're going to make your own cart, I highly recommend welding one and then using the Wheeleez wheels.  I haven't found any other wheels that float over soft sand like the Wheeleez ones. By the time you do that though you might as well have purchased one from Wheeleez.  Oh and don't bother with the mini cart, it's carrying capacity maxes out at about 90 lbs which means your average 60 lb kayak and gear is pushing it and if you plan on catching a decent amount of fish you'll be over the capacity.   The full size wheels are worth the extra price.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
+1 for wheeleez
I've stacked two loaded T13s and pulled a quarter mile up the beach at Cannon Beach and rolled a loaded kayak up stairs and rock piles.

Awesome cart!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

anything