Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 09:50:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Nets  (Read 5224 times)

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I looked at Joes the other day at their selection of nets. Most were either WAY too big or about the size of my fly fishing trout net. Any suggestions on a decent sized net (steelhead/salmon hopefully) that works well on a yak?

jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
There are several companies out there that make decent folding/collapsible nets large enough for salmon.  Two leading names are Promar and Stowmaster with the Stowmasters being the pricier of the two.

Stowmaster Salmon-Pike net
About $150

http://www.stowmaster.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=44

Promar  Trophy Series Collapsible Landing Nets  (model LN-703 or LN-704)
About $50

http://www.promarnets.com/ sorry no direct link

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

• Date Registered: Sep 2007
Jay, I picked up the biggest short hanlded one they have at Joes, but not sure if a Salmon would fit in it, haven't had the chance to try yet.

I also have one of those "Brad's Tailers".  Anybody have any experience using those on Salmon or other Larger fish?  I know they are primarily a Sturgeon tool, but thinking it could be used on other larger fish as well.  Not sure of leaglity of using tailers though etc.  I don't think I'd lift any fist I was going to release with it just to be sure.   I did try to help 3wt with his Sturgeon the other day, but by the time I got there it was already half in his net, so wasn't much help.  It even floats!
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
There are several companies out there that make decent folding/collapsible nets large enough for salmon.  Two leading names are Promar and Stowmaster with the Stowmasters being the pricier of the two.

Stowmaster Salmon-Pike net
About $150

http://www.stowmaster.net/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=44

Promar  Trophy Series Collapsible Landing Nets  (model LN-703 or LN-704)
About $50

http://www.promarnets.com/ sorry no direct link

That Promar with the Promesh material sounds good...but no dealers in Or or WA. Their website only lists Cabelas and Boaters World, both online and neither shows this particular net.

I'll keep trying
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I went cheap and bought a standard salmon net with a handle that slides into the basket to reduce its size for $30.  I then took a hacksaw to the handle and shortened it by about 1 foot.  Works fine.

As a kayak angler, those salmon nets look huge and unwieldy.  However, getting 30 pounds of angry, 36" long chinook salmon to feet in a 24" wide net, while sitting in a kayak, with one hand, is a bit more agility than I have.  Go with a bigger basket, it really doesn't get in the way.

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Here's an online source for the Promar nets I mentioned.
http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrPromarNETS_gaffs.htm

I actually need to get a new net myself.  My current net is a folding one, has a nice deep basket but is only about 20" wide.  I have scooped up salmon with it, but it's not easy.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
For salmon ... get the biggest net you feel comfortable handling.  At Moutcha last year I had a medium sized net and after a couple of net jobs, I just got frustrated and stopped netting.  I did a bit of tailing as well as just using the pliers directly to the hooks for release.

I strongly believe there is a better net design for kayak fishing and large fish.  This net from Frabill is similar to what I have in mind.  Put a couple floats at the bend so that you can operate it with one hand and the net stays on top without too much trouble, then lead the fish into the cradle ... at least in theory.

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
For salmon ... get the biggest net you feel comfortable handling.  At Moutcha last year I had a medium sized net and after a couple of net jobs, I just got frustrated and stopped netting.  I did a bit of tailing as well as just using the pliers directly to the hooks for release.

I strongly believe there is a better net design for kayak fishing and large fish.  This net from Frabill is similar to what I have in mind.  Put a couple floats at the bend so that you can operate it with one hand and the net stays on top without too much trouble, then lead the fish into the cradle ... at least in theory.

-Allen

Agreed w/ Pole on this one. Looks like the real deal. I used a few nets @ Moutcha and none really worked for all the fish... they're darn big!! :o Only thing I need to do is save up for this net... $180 for that badboy!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
I've had this fly fishing net from Cabela's for a long time and a lot of fish. I swapped the bag for a salmon sized net and it works great! Biggest fish was a #30 Halibut and  my 7 year old daughter (no, not at the same time ::)). Once the head of the fish is in , its pretty much all over. The telescoping handle is useless in the yak.

Hmmmm, how about a large hoop that folds in half with an extra large bag as a yak specific landing net? :idea1:
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Agreed w/ Pole on this one. Looks like the real deal. I used a few nets @ Moutcha and none really worked for all the fish... they're darn big!! :o Only thing I need to do is save up for this net... $180 for that badboy!

Z

Or just buy a cheaper net and do the metal bending yourself ... that's what I plan on doing.

-Allen

anything