Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 04:16:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 04, 2024, 11:38:26 PM]

[October 04, 2024, 02:58:41 PM]

[October 04, 2024, 09:45:59 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 07:04:13 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 05:33:04 AM]

[October 03, 2024, 09:45:13 PM]

[October 03, 2024, 04:22:39 AM]

[September 28, 2024, 04:49:21 AM]

[September 27, 2024, 09:04:29 PM]

[September 26, 2024, 06:03:24 PM]

[September 20, 2024, 05:57:01 PM]

[September 19, 2024, 02:20:37 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 01:48:54 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Pepper and rogerdodger with a nice fall coho

Topic: DIY Rudder??  (Read 4202 times)

Krambo

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Anyone ever rig up a DIY rudder for a SOT kayak?   

I am interested more in the control lines than the actual rudder as I will be using a keepers basic rudder. Ideally I would like it to be a somewhat locking hand control setup so I can minimize lines in/around the cockpit.

Any ideas and/or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Will this be for a paddle kayak.   For those where your feet are on peddles for propulsion the hand control makes perfect sense.  For those of us who's hands are busy paddling,  the foot controls make perfect sense. 
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

Krambo

• Krill
It is for a paddle kayak and I have not found anything searching on the Internet for a hand control probably because most want to use foot pedals which does make sense.

However I would like to keep the cockpit clear of lines not only to reduce risk of getting wrapped up in the event of a roll but also to keep fishing gear from getting tangled up as well.

My thought was if there was a way to make a stiff or lockable hand control it would allow me to set the rudder for trolling runs and keep lines out of the cockpit.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Check out the rudder design used on a Jackson Big Tuna most of the lines will be inside out of the way.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

CraigVM62

• Salmon
Have you purchased the kayak already or know the specific model you will be working with?   
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
If you want something locked in place then it sounds like you want a skeg to improve tracking not a rudder.  With foot pedals and irrigation drip tubing you could run the lines through the inside of the boat then you could control the direction with your feet while paddling during trolling. Or just control your direction with paddle strokes.

Krambo

• Krill
Have you purchased the kayak already or know the specific model you will be working with?

Yep. It's a perception pescador sport 12ft.

Krambo

• Krill
If you want something locked in place then it sounds like you want a skeg to improve tracking not a rudder.  With foot pedals and irrigation drip tubing you could run the lines through the inside of the boat then you could control the direction with your feet while paddling during trolling. Or just control your direction with paddle strokes.

Thanks Craig

I'm not too familiar with skegs so I don't know how much it would improve tracking while trolling. The couple of times I have been out trolling just the drag from the rig was enough to keep me paddling on one side which gets old after awhile. Maybe I'll try it out fixed before I set up any lines.

Another reason for designing a hand control is so I don't have to buy new tracks or foot pegs. But if anyone knows a good way of converting the harmony keepers foot pegs to rudder pegs I'm all ears.

Krambo

• Krill
Check out the rudder design used on a Jackson Big Tuna most of the lines will be inside out of the way.

Thanks mojo.  I'll check it out.

CraigVM62

• Salmon
I have the  pescador 12 myself and chose it due to its being designed to accept a rudder kit, should I decide to add one later.    Soon after I picked up a Ocean Kayak with a rudder and now really want to add one onto the Pescador.   
When trolling I find I am constantly making minor adjustments to the rudder and it became second nature with the foot braces.

You can pick up just the stearing foot braces for around $60 on line.   I will have to look at the OEM footbraces, but they might be adaptable to perform the same function.

I also noticed how the drag of the rod off to the side required a great deal of compensation with the rudder or while paddling.  I then changed my rod holder position so the rod is pointed up / centered with the kayak.  While I still feel the drag,  it is no longer  trying to put me into NASCAR mode spinning circles.

Krambo

• Krill
Thanks for the info Craig.

I see your point about needing to constantly adjust the rudder.

Looks like I will be able to adapt the factory foot pegs for rudder use so I'll probably go that route. As you said since my model is rudder ready it will be an easier install anyway.

Hopefully I can get away with spending $100 or less instead of buying the whole kit for $300!

anything