Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:49:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: 6TH annual Sunset Bay AOTD results  (Read 2819 times)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
The 6th installment of the Sunset Bay Angler of the Day Kayak Fishing Challenge is in the books and a good time was had by all I think.

This year we had some definite bumps in the road but it all came to together in the end. The conditions were rather nautical on the ocean so we decide to let the anglers decide if they would go out at Sunset Bay or fish for Salmon in the bay. About 12 people decided to fish for Salmon in the bay. It was tough fishing, the power boaters were hooking up all around us but only one person(Art) was able to catch a Salmon. It was hard to believe that many kayak anglers could fish that long and not catch at least one adult fish.

The rest of the anglers fished Sunset Bay and regardless of the terrible conditions some of the anglers did very well including a nice fat cabbie, a huge 17 inch greenling and a whopper of a Lingcod weighing in at 18+ pounds!

We had a great potluck with all kinds of delicious foods and desserts. Want to thank everyone for contributing to the potluck, nobody went away hungry, that's for sure!

We had tons of great prizes and swag for the captain's bags and some great prizes for the HOW drawing. Like I said before we raised $1,470 for Heroes on the Water Portland. I am very proud of that, you guys are awesome!

So, here's the finishing order: The winner had the most points ever scored at the AOTD tourney

1st Place   Nikko Garduno  603 points      $500 Waxer's Gift Cert.
2nd Place  Steve Hatler     585.75 points   $250 Waxer's Gift Cert.
3rd Place   Evan Merz        410 points       $150 Waxer's Gift Cert.
4th Place   Erik Schmidt     407.25 points  Hobie H-Crate
5th Place   Patrick Wright   374.50            Kokatat Bahia PFD
6th Place   Lauren Smith    243 points
7th Place   Ray Zimmerman 153 points
8th Place   Eric Meyers        119.25
9th place   Patrick Acree      119 points
10th Place Christine Smith   105.75 points

I really want to thanks all the sponsors for their generous donations that made this event the success it was:

Waxer's Surf Shop
Englund Marine
Hobie
Kokatat
Ninkasi Beer
Eugene Skin Divers
Caddis Fly
Bite's on
Basin Tackle
Cascade farm and supply
Sep's
Waterbug's Rescue Ladders
Fish Grips
Angler Innovations
Big Hammer swimbaits
Lancer Jigs
Yakattack
Skwoosh
Sea Faire Pacific
Backwater Paddles
Pro Cure Scents
Chinook Bend RV Park

I would like to give a special thanks to Dana(yaksurf)Hilden for helping to run the tournament so I could go out and fish and for cooking up some delicious fried fish for the tacos. I also want to thank Scott(surf12foot) Brewer for tying up 200 cool shrimp flies for the captains bags and bringing a bunch of tables for the potluck. I appreciate your contributions greatly!

Will add some pics of the winners soon...

Look forward to doing it again next year, bigger and better then ever! See you then.

THE TOP 5:

THE COMPETITORS:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 07:31:13 AM by coosbayyaker »
See ya on the water..
Roy

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

That is a great report Roy.
 One of these days I really hope to make it down for this tournament. Sounds like a blast.
 And thank you for the timeliness of your report. Maybe another tournament can learn how to improve through your example.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Added pics of the top 5 and group. Was getting dark when we took these so not the greatest pics.
See ya on the water..
Roy

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
A great event including the bumps, which are acceptable when shared with the group.  Thanks to Roy, Dude & Dana for making it happen. Didn't place, but lucked out in the HOW drawing. Love the cooler (mine now) from Englung Marine in Charleston http://www.englundmarine.com/, the funds raised for HOW http://heroesonthewater.org/chapters/portland-chapter/ & the immediate posting of amount of those funds. Also appreciate the folks in Eugene that have sponsored this event since the beginning: Eugene Skin Divers Supply http://www.eugeneskindivers.com/, Caddis Fly Angling Shop http://thecaddisfly.com/ & Ninkasi Brewing http://www.ninkasibrewing.com/.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Really great event! The prize pool was huge and in spite of the issues that came up everything went off smoothly. The captain's bags were great too! Really great communication from the event organizers and it's fun to see the standings and know how much we  raised for HOW. Thanks to Dudi and Dana and everyone who helped make it a successful adventure.

Here are a few screen grabs from game day.

Rough seas

Finally some points!

Getting my crab on

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Another great thing about this event is the money raised for HOW was not dependent on the entry fee.  ;D

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Another great thing about this event is the money raised for HOW was not dependent on the entry fee.  ;D

+ a whole bunch
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent