Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 05:02:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Newbie and no Kayak yet.....(Added Marauder)  (Read 8820 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Allen - you are so right with the amount of things to consider.  My original short list was based solely on perception of what I thought I wanted to do.  Now with more research, views of peoples adventures, and new products becoming available, I have a MUCH MUCH bigger hole to fill now. 

I am not necessarily one that has to do everything, (nor will I), but dang it looks like fun!   The Internet is the devil I tell you!  It gives up too much info, too quickly to absorb and work with.  I am sure I could spend another year trying to get the feel for what I want, but I do need to start listing my wants and needs, get a yak and start paddling with ya.

My primary passion is camping, or as some put it RV'ing.  Really it is just getting away from my stick house, and relaxing in a different setting.   I did the tent thing religiously for years, until I started getting into ATV's.  16 years later, with a wife, two kids, 3 small dogs, and 6 ATV's, tents are not my home away from home in that scenario.   Then we pick up a boat for playing in the lakes, rivers and bays with.  Then I start getting that itch to get into some of the bodies of water that my aluminum boat can't or won't be going into.   Shallow lakes, shallow rivers and estuaries, small mountain lakes, the BIG ocean, etc....

What to do?  What to do?  I know there is no perfect kayak for every scenario and I'm sure I'll be going through a few until I lock into what feels best to me in my adventures. 

This site has been alot of help (good and bad ;D) for steering me different directions and opening up options that I never considered before. 

Let me start a list of wants and needs, and plans for use, based on what I know about kayaking so far, and maybe this will help you help me. 

Should I start a new post or keep it going in this one?   ???

-Craig

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
You know where I would start?  Get a single kayak that fits you and what you want to do.  Figure it out and get better at it without having to worry about someone else on a double.  I know it sounds selfish, but it will be better for you and them in the long run.  Pay attention to that T13 you are paddling.  It looks like a good one.  Then paddle a bunch more and compare.

-Allen
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:17:37 PM by polepole »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
You know where I would start?  Get a single kayak that fits you and what you want to do.  Figure it out and get better at it without having to worry about someone else on a double.  I know it sounds selfish, but it will be better for you and them in the long run.  Pay attention to that T13 you are paddling.  It looks like a good one.  They paddle a bunch more and compare.

-Allen

Listen to Allen, he knows...  he solo paddled a Cobra Triple for several years.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
You know where I would start?  Get a single kayak that fits you and what you want to do.  Figure it out and get better at it without having to worry about someone else on a double.  I know it sounds selfish, but it will be better for you and them in the long run.  Pay attention to that T13 you are paddling.  It looks like a good one.  They paddle a bunch more and compare.

-Allen

Listen to Allen, he knows...  he solo paddled a Cobra Triple for several years.

And I paddled that thing solo more often than not.  While it did wonders for my paddling strength, I wouldn't do it again.

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I'll take your advice and go with it.  My son may just want his own little yak in a year anyways.  I'm ok with that!

Regarding the T13, would this be a considered an decent ocean going vessel?  I mean more so than the wider "Angler" specific units I have listed in my original post.  After reading some detailed accounts of getting caught in the chop, and wind, it appears that the wider units loose their luster quick and get more difficult to manage out there.   The T13 being several inches narrower than say the Fish N Dive, it should effectively give a smoother glide through those conditions.  If I pass on making the first kayak a two person deticated unit, and focus more on it being a better traveler through multiple conditions, I should be going in the right direction with something like the T13, no?  Oh, and I have no doubt that regardless of what I end up with, I'll be the specticle of the beach upon landing, that's for sure.  ;D

If I get the chance Sunday to paddle the T13 in the nice warm Hagg Lake, what things do you highly recommend I put to the test?   

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
If you show up to Hagg Lake on Sunday we're having a bit of a safety clinic.  The plan is do things like self rescue (practicing getting back in after tipping over)  it'll be a great way to learn the limits of a kayak (i.e. how much can you lean over before it tips.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
What time, and where do you plan to be?   Will there be other kayaks that I could check out? 

Look forward to meeting some of you folks. 

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Still ironing out the details.. here is the thread on the safety clinic.
http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,1497.0.html

Right now it seems like Henry Hagg Lake at Noon Sunday at Boat Launch "C".  My plan is to come early and do some fishing, break for an early lunch and then do the safety clinic thing at noon.

As for kayaks you can test out, I'm sure some of the other members will let you test out their kayaks.  Right now, I have a couple shorter boats.. an OK Caper and  a Cobra Navigator XF.  Not sure which I'll bring yet, but you're welcome to test paddle which ever it is.  Either way, it'll give you an idea the limitations of how a smaller kayak paddles.

Brian

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Regarding the T13, would this be a considered an decent ocean going vessel?  I mean more so than the wider "Angler" specific units I have listed in my original post.  After reading some detailed accounts of getting caught in the chop, and wind, it appears that the wider units loose their luster quick and get more difficult to manage out there.   The T13 being several inches narrower than say the Fish N Dive, it should effectively give a smoother glide through those conditions.  If I pass on making the first kayak a two person deticated unit, and focus more on it being a better traveler through multiple conditions, I should be going in the right direction with something like the T13, no?  Oh, and I have no doubt that regardless of what I end up with, I'll be the specticle of the beach upon landing, that's for sure.  ;D

Different yaks have different purposes and fit different people differently.  You may be placing too much emphasis on the specs of a yak and not enough on your own skills and preferences.

The difference in cruising speed between the slower yaks and the faster ones may be only 1/2 mph, with the slower ones being in the low to mid 3 mph range and the faster ones being in the upper 3 mph range.

Wider yaks are more forgiving.  On narrower yaks like the P13 and P15, when quartering with the swell, you have a chance of taking a wave over the side.  I'm constantly adjusting to avoid this situation or if I hit this situation to keep things from getting out of hand.  If I was in a Big Game I wouldn't have to worry about it.  Which situation is better?  There is no right answer here.

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
So what your saying is.......
 :director: shut up and ride one already.   

Hopefully Sunday I'll get to dunk myself in the lake trying out one or more kayaks.  Being 6' + 215lbs, I just may end up having the finesse and balance of a bowling ball on a yard stick.  :laughing7:

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
So what your saying is.......
 :director: shut up and ride one already.   

Well actually ... preferably many more than one.  But sometimes you hit "the one" and you just know it's for you.

-Allen

Therickers

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I eat the shipping on all of the Cobras we sell also.  Here is a pic of my Marauder.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I eat the shipping on all of the Cobras we sell also.  Here is a pic of my Marauder.

But who is "we".  I forgot that you were a Montana based Cobra dealer.  You got a website?

-Allen

anything