Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:57:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Grab A Cold One Series: Swan Island Sturgeon Social - Dec 6  (Read 2831 times)

uplandsandpiper

Last year's Lower Columbia Kayak Anglers Swan Island Basin sturgeon social was so successful I knew we had to do it again. We already are getting good reports from the basin and nearly every one of the 25+ participants last year caught fish. A few even went so far to become addicted to sturgeon kayak fishing and spent most of the past year in pursuit of these dinosaurs. So let me warn you....kayak fishing for sturgeon is very addicting.

This year we will meet on Sunday December 6th at the Swan Island Basin ramp (no fee) and launch around 7 AM. We will conclude around 2:30 PM and migrate to the Stormbreaker Brewery for cold beers and warm burgers. This event is open to anyone of any skill level. If you don't have a kayak or the gear and want to attend let us know and we'll do our best to get you a piece of tupperware and the proper gear. While catching sturgeon is the focus this event is also about making friends and celebrating kayak fishing.

For fun this year we are adding a little liquid sidepot in the inaugural "Grab A Cold One Series". The rules are as follows:

Entry Fee: 1 16 oz bottle of your favorite beer

Rules: Who ever lands the most sturgeon by 2:30 PM. Landing is defined by removing the hook with your hand.

Contestants must have a valid fishing license, endorsement, and invasive species stamp and demonstrate proper fish handling skills. Please keep oversize sturgeon in the water and no hands in the gills. We want to keep these fish around for others to enjoy.

Regulated by: Honor system

Prize: Winner takes home all the beer!

*There will be a side pot of goodies for a youth winner.

Hope to see you there and feel free to PM with questions.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

That pot (prize) could be a pretty good haul for a strong beer drinker. We had a great time last year and it sounds like this year will be even better. Way to make the evolution happen........... ;D

Were  there many kids last year ? Memory fails me on that..........
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

yakbass

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Am event in my backyard when I don't work. I'm in.

BugBoy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Planning on attending if it isn't raining, would hate to ruin my new drysuit!! ???

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I saw this guy there.
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks again to Tyler for putting on this event! I had a great time meeting everyone and seeing some regulars too. It was cool that the parking lot was full of kayakers this morning despite the dark, blustery pissing-rainy conditions. What a lagoon full of fish but it was really hard to find the biters sometimes. Was happy to land 20 after a lot of hard effort and thanks everyone for the beer. Nice selections!

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
"it was really hard to find the biters sometimes. Was happy to land 20..." - zowie! What's a GOOD day look like for you?
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Shhhhhhhh.

I was cleared last week. Still fished right handed though. Rotator cuffs are a bear.

It was great to be back on the water again. Minnowmagnet, my hat is off to you. It is a good day just to fish and catch one. 20 is flippen awesome!

Tyler, thanks for setting this up. I was really nice seeing everyone.

On a side note, I was so tired I forgot to leave my beer. Minnowmagnet,I owe you one.

"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

Chromeseeker

• Krill

Thank you for organizing the trip.  And, thank you to those who provided advice, which I definitely needed & benefitted.  Otherwise, I would not have caught the couple of sturgeon that I managed to bring to the kayak.  I cannot remember all your names; otherwise, I'd identify all the individuals.  (As for me, I was one of the few non-Hobie folks in the Eddyline kayak.)   

Unfortunately, I could not hang around as I had another commitment.  I did drop off a beer.  I look forward to meeting you again.     

And congrats to the 20 sturgeon gentleman! 

BugBoy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2009
Thanks for wonderful day on the water with the tips and tricks offered.  I was able to 'land' my first two kayak sturgeon, and experience my first sleigh ride!  What a rush!!  Can't wait to go again.  When is the next cold-one fishing adventure?

uplandsandpiper

Thanks to everyone who came out for the social. I was impressed with the number of anglers at the ramp in the predawn hours of the morning in the wind and rain. We are one dedicated bunch!

I ended the day with 9 fish but got a lot more fun out of watching others fight their first kayak fish and sturgeon. Lots of big smiles out there and in the end the rain subsided and we were even treated to a few hours of sun breaks.

Of course Minnowmagnet needed to take home all the beer to wash down all those springers he is eating to make space for more in 2016.

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
I would like to recommend to anyone that would like to have their arms absolutely torn from their sockets to head out to the Swan Island lagoon while the river is completely blown out and warm like it is now. Big hungry fish will swarm back in almost all the way to the ramp and the warmer water will make them bite a lot better than they were on Sunday. I have experienced this phenomenon there for the last few years and have had some 30-43 fish days catching fish within a couple hundred yards from the boat ramp. All during a spell when the main river was running chocolate brown at 2 or 3 feet a second and not fishable.
The only thing to worry about is poo discharge advisories. Or just wear a hazardous material suit and keep your mouth very very closed while the fish are thrashing.

Beachmaster90

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Im hoping to make it back there Sunday!

anything