Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:40:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: AOTY 2015 - Final Results - Congratulations - Totals for HOW  (Read 2971 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
The 2015 AOTY Trophy

Congratulations to all the competitors in the 2015 Angler of the Year! The competition was tougher than 2014. For example, I placed 9th in both years but I scored 200 more points in 2015. Way to set the bar high, everyone!

Speaking of setting the bar high, huge congratulations to Yaktrap, Snopro, and Merz for once again transforming their talents and experience in kayak fishing into AOTY points in spectacular fashion. They’d been trading the top 3 spots since 2013, and now along comes Rayborbon to make his presence felt in the top 3. All you guys are killing it!

Yaktrap is a guy who has proven himself over and over, to the point where he bowed out this year to open up the #1 spot for someone else, and to help with AOTY behind the scenes. If we handed out lifetime achievement awards, this guy would be on the short list. We're happy to be able to give him the trophy shown above as a small token to commemorate his placement at the to top of the heap.

And one more special mention: Our youth division did not get much action in 2015, except for a stand-out performance by Anastasiaborbon. She would have been in 11th place in the adult division! If we ever start a family division, look out - Rayborbon and Anastasiaborbon would be a wrecking crew. Taking kids fishing can have an impact on how they view nature and our place in it for their entire lives (I’m living proof). Here’s hoping that we get a lot more action in the youth division this year. She will also be receiving a trophy.

I want to personally thank everyone who registered in 2015, even if you didn’t enter any fish. I also want to thank NWKA godfather Polepole for letting us change the beneficiary to HOW. The combination of these two factors means that we raised $380 each for HOW NW and HOW Portland.

Bsteves deserves mention for his work to keep AOTY running (literally) and for handling the funds. Thank you also to all of the judges who volunteer to keep the incoming entries qualified.

You can view all of the 2015 adult standings here: http://aoty.northwestkayakanglers.com/leaderboard/list2015results

I’m looking forward to great things in 2016. You’ve probably noticed that I’ve been updating the 2016 kick-off thread with sponsors - we’re up to quite a few commitments now, and I’m really excited. I’ve got some idea of what the first and second prizes might be and once it’s finalized I’m really looking forward to announcing it. We also have more ways to win now (more info soon!) - you don’t have to be crazy-overcommitted to win in 2016 (but it won’t hurt to be crazy!).

Yaktrap

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Cool trophy, I've got a place in my man-cave for that one. 

Congratulations to all my fellow competitors. Everyone that played learned more about finding trophy fish in their local fisheries and ultimately that's a win. Personally I've learned a ton doing this competition for the past 4 years and a lot of that knowledge comes from interacting with my fellow AOTY competitors. My take away message - the more effort you put in the more you learn, so fish and fish hard. Good luck and tight lines.

p.s.
Keep an eye on that Anastasia kid, she's a wicked hunter of fish.
Sponsors:
Werner Paddles, RAM Mounts and Kokatat Waterwear

AOTY wins: 2013 (2049 points), 2015 (2026 points)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Awesome trophy and Congrats on the win Yaktrap.  I hope to learn more about my local areas and the fish inside them on my trips.  Great job!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Thanks to everyone who competed and thanks for supporting HOW!
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Bigjim

• Lingcod
  • No white flags.
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
AWESOME!!!

Beautiful trophy and congrats to all who placed and played!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Great looking trophy!  Congratulations Todd.

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
What a great trophy for a great contest!   Congratulations yaktrap!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Congrats to all who participated!  I just signed up for this year for the first time.  I'm hoping it will motivate me to get after some fish I've never tried for, and some new areas.  No expectations of winning, but a good fundraiser, and adds an element of fun to an already crazy fun addiction.

Thanks to Capt. Redbeard for injecting some renewed energy and chasing after sponsors!
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Congrats Todd!! That trophy looks awesome!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Congratulations to all of the top finishers in all divisions.  You inspired me to sign up for AOTY 2016 so I, too, can enjoy the fun and the competition.

Thank you to all of the folks who planned, organized, ran (literally), and judged.  You hold this together for all of us and your time and efforts are appreciated.

Thanks to the 2015 sponsors, too.  I'd compete for the bragging rights, but it's good to see the sponsors, both corporate and private, come out to support HOW.

Cap'n, you're doing a bang-up job on AOTY 2016. It just keeps getting better.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 05:01:27 AM by Tinker »
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Congrats All!

Those are some big points.  Hats off to the judges and members that have stepped up to continue running AOTY.  Great to see new kayak fishermen competing.

anything