Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:42:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Washington state near Seattle bass tourneys?  (Read 2883 times)

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
Anyone know of any tourneys coming up around the Seattle area or north east side of Washington? I've never fished a tourney before but want to really try my hand at one. I noticed the bonanza and May Day but those are both Oregon? I don't really want to get an Oregon license and would like to stay in around Washington state local. Sorry if this is a dumb question 😳 Thanks in advance and love this forum!
"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy fishing gear"

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
You could fish the WA side of the Columbia for BBB.

Hmmmm... I might consider that. Thanks!  But why don't they hold kayak tourneys at potholes or lake Washington? Don't the power boats usually hold tourneys there? Why can't us yakkers get a couple tourneys there? 😉👍

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Just need someone to step up and get one organized.  I'm  sure there would be strong participation if it happened.  Want to volunteer? ;D

You could go mix it up with the power boaters.  Under the right circumstances I think you could be successful.  Building a live well would be a fun project.

Very interesting. I might try and set something up on this forum for that. I got an idea on how it can be ran and how we can get weights without using a live well. Maybe we will just start right here and see how many people would be interested in a lake Washington or lake sammamish kayak bass tourney.
 If you would be interested maybe just put interested in a comment below. If we can get about 20+ yakkers might be worth it.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Typically the kayak bass tournaments are done solely on length, since that can easily be photographed on the kayak and then the fish released unharmed. It does suck if you catch a big fatty without much length, but sometimes you catch a skinny long one and it works out okay.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Typically the kayak bass tournaments are done solely on length, since that can easily be photographed on the kayak and then the fish released unharmed. It does suck if you catch a big fatty without much length, but sometimes you catch a skinny long one and it works out okay.

Hmmm... I was thinking everyone pretty much has a scale (usually) so we test the scales right before the tourney starts by using a weight and making sure scale is accurate... Then we have everyone put a printed laminated sticker on the scale and when they make a catch just take a picture of the fish on the scale with the sticker visible? The sticker would be provided right before the tourney starts and is easily removable after it ends? Would that work?

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I'd be interested in a Potholes or an Eastern WA tournament. 
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

smilinkayaker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
All the bass style events I have ever participated in or put on has always gone with length. Some are set up as single heaviest fish but they also harvest their catch in those style events.

jpodyssey

• Rockfish
  • Tricity kayak anglers
  • Date Registered: May 2015

Hmmmm... I might consider that. Thanks!  But why don't they hold kayak tourneys at potholes or lake Washington? Don't the power boats usually hold tourneys there? Why can't us yakkers get a couple tourneys there? 😉👍

It takes A LOT of footwork to set up a tournament on this side of the state (eastern). I'm trying to set one up over here, and there is a lot involved. If you are serious about setting one up, you should contact me.

Here are a few things you should note.

-The tournament should be C.P.R. to keep cost and permits down. (Most kayak tournaments are by length)
-The tournament most likely needs to be 100% ready 1 year in advance, because it can't conflict with any other tournaments on that body of water based on acreage. The WDFW takes tournament requests on a first come first served basis.
-There is a tournament permit cost around 100$ from wdfw
-There may be a state park special uses permit for contests
-Almost all locations require a liability insurance
-There is also a facility cost.

It is hard organizing an event without the initial money to apply for the permits.

Its not impossible up here, but it will be tough without help from others.

Tricity Kayak Anglers (TCKA) - Director

RAM mounts fishing team

Kayak Shed Fishing Team

1st  Place - 2017 KBF OR-WA Regional May / Bass
2nd Place - 2017 KBF OR-WA Regional April / Ba

cdat

Just a thought, you might find it easier to contact an existing Bass club and see about adding a "kayak" division or class for a tournament. You might be able to piggyback onto an existing tourney. 

John

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
You guys could load up a bus with kayaks and come to Brownlee. ;D

jpodyssey

• Rockfish
  • Tricity kayak anglers
Just a thought, you might find it easier to contact an existing Bass club and see about adding a "kayak" division or class for a tournament. You might be able to piggyback onto an existing tourney. 

John

That actually doesn't sound like too bad of an Idea. Ill look more into it, and see what our local clubs have to say.

RAM mounts fishing team

Kayak Shed Fishing Team

jpodyssey

• Rockfish
  • Tricity kayak anglers
You guys could load up a bus with kayaks and come to Brownlee. ;D

I'm really hoping to make it down there, to fish with you guys again. I'll see if i can get some others to attend as well.

I don't think I've ever caught a crappie on purpose, so i'm hoping to learn a few things

RAM mounts fishing team

Kayak Shed Fishing Team

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
It's simple, just like catching perch.haha-jed