Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 09:57:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Help with new kayak choice  (Read 3669 times)

bndhunter

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I am a newbie when it come to kayak fishing so I have lots of questions and would like some advice on the choice of a new kayak.

A little background, I currently have a Hobie oasis tandem that I will be setting up to use with my wife and in smaller waters. I have taken it out a few times alone and with the right ballast set up in the front hatch it seems to handle very well even with just the paddle. I am looking into a longer paddle for myself. I am just over 6' and around 240 lbs. and don't have a real problem standing in the oasis at least in calm waters. The main use for the new kayak would be in smaller lakes, some larger reservoirs and deeper areas of the rivers we have around the state. This will encompass fishing from small mouth bass, catfish, walleyes in the river as well as getting into pike walleye, yellow perch and eventually downrigger fishing for lake trout in the larger reservoirs. I am also entertaining the idea of trying some bow fishing and even fly fishing eventually.

I have narrowed the choice for the new boat down to 3 in the following order. The Hobie PA14, Jackson Big Rig and the Hobie Outback. With stability being the biggest point due to wanting to use it for some bow fishing what are your thoughts on these three pros and cons?

Thanks,
Tim
2011 Hobie Oasis
2015 Jackson Big Rig

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
Since you know the benefits of Hobie's Mirage Drive, based on stability I would opt for the PA-14 in a heart beat.
My first Hobie was an Outback......it's a really nice fishing platform, but my ride since 2013 is a PA-14 and I like all of the aspects of this kayak....its very stable and I down rig fish most of the time. Having the extra interior room is a major bonus.

coastrider

• Perch
  • PNW Flyfishing Forum
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Having a close look at the pa14 during the Moutcha Bay derby it wouldn't be my first choice due to versatility. They are too heavy to car top or lift with 1 person, really a trailer is better suited. Also they are just too big for my liking, however I enjoy paddling at this point. After seeing the Jackson Kraken on the water it would be my choice of kayak should I want a longer kayak for the salt. After a day on the water my friend in his pa14 was just as tired as I was paddling my cuda12. To each their own however, the smaller hobie kayaks are nice. I paddled up a river with a fellow from Alberta that had his Mirage drive mast break the day before the derby and also got stuck in the river, all things to consider based on where you chose to paddle

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
My height and weight match yours.  I think the PA14 would be an excellent choice.  Of the three it would be number 1 because of your desire to stand.

Standing up to fly cast, or any casting for that matter, it is very stable.  I don't bow fish but I'm sure it would be a great hunting platform. Because of the PA14 spacious layout it's also my favorite kayak to downrigger fish from.

I have no problem truck topping it by myself.  You just need a system......and some size. 

bndhunter

• Herring
Thanks for the response so far. As to the size and weight of the 3 I have listed that is not an issue. Whichever one I decide on it will be hauled in the bed of my truck on inside my toyhauler when going camping.
2011 Hobie Oasis
2015 Jackson Big Rig

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I have a PA 14 and an outback.  I'm about the same size and weight.  If you're wanting to stand I'd go with the PA 14.  It works great for downrigger fishing and trolling.  It sits high out of the water and will get blown around  more than the Big Rig, but the Mirage drive allows you to make corrections.

I've tried out a Big Rig and in my opinion it has a lot better stability than the PA.  It's a great kayak, paddles well for the size and is very comfortable.  If you're going to do a lot of trolling I'd get the PA 14.  If you were doing more bass type fishing/ Bow fishing / shallow rivers the Big Rig would work great.  They're both great kayaks and are very stable and roomy. 
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

bndhunter

• Herring
I have a PA 14 and an outback.  I'm about the same size and weight.  If you're wanting to stand I'd go with the PA 14.  It works great for downrigger fishing and trolling.  It sits high out of the water and will get blown around  more than the Big Rig, but the Mirage drive allows you to make corrections.

I've tried out a Big Rig and in my opinion it has a lot better stability than the PA.  It's a great kayak, paddles well for the size and is very comfortable.  If you're going to do a lot of trolling I'd get the PA 14.  If you were doing more bass type fishing/ Bow fishing / shallow rivers the Big Rig would work great.  They're both great kayaks and are very stable and roomy. 

smokeyangler thanks for the response that is exactly what I was hoping for. As I said I have almost no experience yet. I have been going back a forth between the PA 14 and the Big Rig and because of wanting to use it for bow fishing the stability is a big part of my choice. Can you say what it was about the Big Rig that made it seem more stable to you? Also I currently have another Hobie craft that I could set up for times that I would be doing more trolling.
2011 Hobie Oasis
2015 Jackson Big Rig

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
When you stand up in the Big Rig it just feels more stable.  The PA is very stable, but it will rock more when you stand up than the Big Rig.  It feels more tippy, but in reality it is very stable.  They are both great kayaks. 
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Have you checked out any of the Wilderness systems boats?  I have an ATAK and its been great for standing and casting, very comfortable and not a bad paddle.  The new Radar 115 and 135 arent out yet, but they have the pedal drive and look to be about as stable as the ATAK

bndhunter

• Herring
Have you checked out any of the Wilderness systems boats?  I have an ATAK and its been great for standing and casting, very comfortable and not a bad paddle.  The new Radar 115 and 135 arent out yet, but they have the pedal drive and look to be about as stable as the ATAK

I have looked at the Wilderness boats and the ATAK was one I had thought of but don't have a option to try in out here in Montana.
2011 Hobie Oasis
2015 Jackson Big Rig

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I realize this video is about touring and recreational kayaks and that fishing yaks are different, but it might be an interesting video and provide some fundamentals that will help you down the road.  I have no financial interest in Pygmy, but most of my kayak experience has been in long touring sit-in kayaks.

http://www.offcenterharbor.com/pygmy-1609/?utm_source=VIDEO%3A+How+to+Choose+a+Kayak%3A+Touring+vs.+Recreational%3F&utm_campaign=VIDEO%3A+Touring+Vs.+Recreational+Kayak%3F&utm_medium=email

Jay03

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
That PA14 is a beast! The jackson big rig is also over 100lbs. The wilderness ATAK and the feelfree lure 13.5 are both lighter and just as stable. I have tried the last 3 mentioned but not the hobie. Of the three the ATAK paddled best, lure 13.5 second best, and the big rig was the worst/most difficult. The lure 13.5 was probably the most stable to stand in followed closely by the ATAK. Actually probably not much difference between them. The big rig is very stable but I was as much of a fan of the layout. I would bow fish of any of them just the same I'm sure. But I have pretty good balance and also stand in 30" wide kayaks to fish. I would get the jackson before the hobie if you can only pick between the two but that's just me.

anything