Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 04:39:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Fishing for Blackmouth at Point No Point.  (Read 5574 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I give up.  Too many newbies saying "I just bought me a kayak and since I've been in it on a lake/pond/the front yard, now I need to be in saltwater."  I sincerely hope nothing goes wrong and you have a great day out there, but common sense is the first thing we all put on for safety and trepidation is always a GOOD thing.

Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

kaz

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2018
Well,  maybe I haven't been clear.  I've built and paddled a yak for about 10 yrs.  I've also been on the water,  in one form or another for over 40 yrs. in everything from Coleman canoes to leaky outboards (hard to afford stuff in college) to my 17 footer.  As for respect for the sea,  my outboard has a deck-mounted radio and a HH,  a 4 cycle trolling motor (back-up propulsion),  a Mustang flotation jacket (back-up PFD),  a red-alert kit (first aid,  extra flares, strobe light, hand pump, HH GPS,  ect.). 

I candidly admit,  that in my younger days I broke every rule.  I thought that Small-Craft Advisories pertained to stuff like canoes (think of the shock when I read that the CG meant craft to 45').  I don't take anything OTW lightly.  These are some of my recent acquisitions; Kokatat drysuit,  Standard Horizon 870 HH, Astral Ronny PFD, NRS hand pump, visibility flag/with light. 
Cape Falcon F1 (homemade, skin boat)
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I give up.  Too many newbies saying "I just bought me a kayak and since I've been in it on a lake/pond/the front yard, now I need to be in saltwater."  I sincerely hope nothing goes wrong and you have a great day out there, but common sense is the first thing we all put on for safety and trepidation is always a GOOD thing.

I hope he goes out there and slays them the posts on here about it.

Fish hard.

workhard

• Salmon
Well workhard,  I've had 2 outings on little ponds.  I haven't geared-up the Trident 13 for fishing,  but I'm perfectly comfortable in the yak.  This weekend,  I gotta get out on the salt.  I need the experience of surf-launching,  current,  wind and waves.  My drysuit is so comfortable,  I considered taking a little nap. 

I checked the tides for early January.  The first high is at about 2:15 AM,  and the second high is at 12:48 PM.  After the second high,   there are minus low tides.  The current will be ripping.

You can duck out of the current on the ebb close to shore. The point makes a giant current break. There's no shelter on the flood. I still think it'll be difficult to fish effectively on a paddle kayak there, but prove me wromg.

Fish hard.

kaz

• Perch
Yeah.  I remember that in my outboard,  I was back-motoring to moderate the drift during the ebb.  It's sure to be a difficult spot,  but PNP is literally in my neighborhood.  I live close to the Kingston HS. 

I might have to work during the week,  but the first weekend is open.  Gotta give it a try.  By the end of the week,  between the first dead-high and the first dead-low,  there's only a difference of a few feet.  Might give me a chance. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon
Yeah.  I remember that in my outboard,  I was back-motoring to moderate the drift during the ebb.  It's sure to be a difficult spot,  but PNP is literally in my neighborhood.  I live close to the Kingston HS. 

I might have to work during the week,  but the first weekend is open.  Gotta give it a try.  By the end of the week,  between the first dead-high and the first dead-low,  there's only a difference of a few feet.  Might give me a chance.

Why don't you fish Jeff Head? I know the Gig Harbor Boys fish out there. I've never done it tho.

Fish hard.

Lutefisk

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017

Dude, you are the most cynical and pessimistic person on this forum. Haters gonna hate.

workhard

• Salmon

Dude, you are the most cynical and pessimistic person on this forum. Haters gonna hate.

He's just concerned. This sport is scary for some people, and for some people it should be.

Fish hard.

kaz

• Perch

Why don't you fish Jeff Head? I know the Gig Harbor Boys fish out there. I've never done it tho.

Fish hard.

I tried Jeff Head in my outboard a few times,  mostly when the winds were too much to motor to PNP,  but you're right.  As a yak fisher I need to think about the limitations of speed,  distance and paddling.  Jeff Head is relatively protected water.  My brothers have been reminding me,  that they  have learned to fish "small".  They fish smaller areas with more detailed focus.  I'd almost forgotten about Jeff Head.  It's another spot that I used to ignore. 

When I fished with my outboard,  I used to have a fall-back option.  If the winds were too cruel for Mid Channel,  I would opt to fish Discovery Bay.   I'd almost forgotten.  Once in the early spring,  the weather report was iffy,  but when I got to Port Townsend the winds were so fierce I had sand in my ears.  Sand in your ears is a bad sign.  I've had some wonderful days fishing Disco Bay. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

workhard

• Salmon

Fish hard.

I tried Jeff Head in my outboard a few times,  mostly when the winds were too much to motor to PNP,  but you're right.  As a yak fisher I need to think about the limitations of speed,  distance and paddling.  Jeff Head is relatively protected water.  My brothers have been reminding me,  that they  have learned to fish "small".  They fish smaller areas with more detailed focus.  I'd almost forgotten about Jeff Head.  It's another spot that I used to ignore. 

When I fished with my outboard,  I used to have a fall-back option.  If the winds were too cruel for Mid Channel,  I would opt to fish Discovery Bay.   I'd almost forgotten.  Once in the early spring,  the weather report was iffy,  but when I got to Port Townsend the winds were so fierce I had sand in my ears.  Sand in your ears is a bad sign.  I've had some wonderful days fishing Disco Bay.

Might want to talk to someone who fishes there, it's bacially the blackmouth spot of area 10. I've also had recent success in Northern Hood Canal, it's not talked about a lot but decent spots can be found with enough research - and far more kayak friendly and open right now with a four fish limit.

Fish hard.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:58:51 PM by workhard »

kaz

• Perch
I'll take a long look at area 10.  I have fished the east side of Bainbridge and I had some real success on the south end fishing Allen Bank.  I'm not so familiar with the north end of the canal.  Normally,  the Hood Canal was my crabbing spot (off Driftwood). 

When I moved to WA (late 90s) I bought every fishing guide I could find.  I'll have to dust them off.  I've finally just received my FF and HH radio.  All good.
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

kaz

• Perch

No worries, lutefisk.  I take his warning to heart,  but as a construction guy,  my everyday job is dangerous.  I've learned (the hard way) not to be foolish on the water.  It's all good. 
Trident 13
Necky Dolphin 14

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

Fish hard.

Might want to talk to someone who fishes there, it's bacially the blackmouth spot of area 10. I've also had recent success in Northern Hood Canal, it's not talked about a lot but decent spots can be found with enough research - and far more kayak friendly and open right now with a four fish limit.

Fish hard.

Where is Jeff Head? Looking on my mapping apps and not seeing anything like that near Gig Harbor or PNP.  As a boy in GH I’d love to know about a good spot...
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

workhard

• Salmon

Fish hard.

Fish hard.

Where is Jeff Head? Looking on my mapping apps and not seeing anything like that near Gig Harbor or PNP.  As a boy in GH I’d love to know about a good spot...

Jefferson Head. http://www.johnssportinggoods.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Map_Jeff_Head.pdf. This is a major fishing spot in 10. I'm not speaking for myself though. I will say that Pt Defiance has been good for me on the kayak and powerboat since late-October. The spots on the GH side, which you probably know and I don't feel like burning, are probably holding fish as well.

Fish hard.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Nice Map, Thanks for sharing that.

anything