Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 05:34:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Would a OK Trident 13 be a good fit  (Read 7759 times)

EOB

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2009
Well the decision has been made I am buying a fishing kayak.  I know I should try before I Buy but that is easier said than done from Eastern Oregon.  Based on reading I am leaning towards the Trident 13.  Is this a good fit for a 250 (hopefully more like 220 soon) pound person for a multi purpose (mostly Columbia River) fishing platform. Also is there a better deal on this boat than 950.00 shipped free from Cabelas as I am not finding one.

Also after purchase if there is any interest in a Columbia River Walleye or Smallmouth adventure I would be willing go or give info as I live 100 yards from the water and have fished them for years from my PB.

Thanks in advance,
EObasser

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
welcome to a whole new world of fishing.. and a site chock full of great , knowledgeable, fun people.

in answer to your question, see also the thread "which one". because a lot of the same questions have been answered there.

T13, at your size, should work great. but, i'm sure you'll have more folks here giving you better advice than i can.

Rich
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Welcome to NWKA EO. Heres a little more info on OK Kayaks recently discussed here.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2346.msg21376/topicseen.html#new

Outdoorplay.com has a nice package deal, sice you'll need all that stuff anyway..

http://www.outdoorplay.com/store/Product.asp?DID=567&PDID=3&SKU=BSP_OKT13A
See ya on the water..
Roy

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
Hey EO, welcome. Where on the Columbia are you? I have a Trident 13 you're welcome to demo & see what you think. I'm 230 or so and it works great for me. I'm in Stevenson, WA, near Hood River. I could also be tempted to head your way for some walleye & smallmouth fishing at some point.

Brian

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Welcome aboard!

The Trident 13 is a nice boat.  I just finished (OK finished for the moment) rigging mine and it's a well designed fishing yak.

Another good option in that range is the Cobra Fish-n-Dive.  It's a little wider (ie more stable) and has easy storage access options like the Trident Anglers offer.  It's no beauty but it's a proven workhorse.

I'd be more than happy to trade you some yak fishing coaching for some Walleye coaching.   ;D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

EOB

• Lingcod
Thanks for the replies I read those posts and found them very informative I was just looking for some more first hand experience with that yak and other BIG people. Alkasazi that is a awesome offer and I'm really only about two hours away in Irrigon, OR.  I have caught the bug bad and am looking to buy soon, a trip to Portland would be very doable with some demos set up.  And with the walleye now is big fish time summer is for the numbers.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
As stated in other posts, I run 220# and have paddle both the T15 and the T13 extensively.  The T13 is the yak I choose to paddle.  It should do you right up to 250# and more and on down to your target 220#.

Take Brian "Alkasazi" up on his offer.  He can give you good guidance in person on kayak selection and equipment slect.  And Outdoorplay.com , which he works for, will do you right.  Outdoorplay.com has done right to NWKA and is a great friend to all of us here.  I can't say enough good things about them!!!

-Allen

Merlin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
 Have you been in Irrigon for very long? I noticed that we are the same age and I grew up in Hermiston.......might be a long lost friends.   ;)
Enjoy the ride!                          

EOB

• Lingcod
I actually grew up in Irrigon then left and have been back for the last six years so yeah we may have met.

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
It isn't the Trident but you can get a Prowler 13 shipped to your door from STP for $650.
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

EOB

• Lingcod
It is my understanding that the trident is going to be a overall drier ride.  Is this true?

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
The Tridents are indeed much drier than the older Prowlers.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
Hey EO, I can't make it your way this weekend, but next weekend might be a possibility. I can let you know early next week. We're also doing a stroke clinic in Portland on Sunday, March 15. I'll have a T13 along with some other boats you'd be welcome to demo. There will also be paddles from a few different companies to check out. Details on the clinic here:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2282.0.html

Brian

and thanks for the kind words, Allen! It goes both ways, ya'll have been great & taught me a lot as well.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 11:16:46 AM by Alkasazi »

EOB

• Lingcod
If you are interested in coming this way make sure it's for fishing and not on my account.  It is a awesome offer to let me try your boat and if there is a good day for you I could make the drive.  Weekends are easiest of course but maybe a weekday would be good so I could stop in Hood river and do some shopping after ;)

Alkasazi

• Lingcod
  • Alkasazi
No worries. I'd love to get some walleye fishing in. I've mostly been doing bass fishing so far, so it'd be nice to vary things up & maybe put some points on the board. I'll pm early next week once I know what my weekend plans are going to be like.

Brian

anything