Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 06:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Hobie Revolution -- discontinued  (Read 3760 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I think motors are fine, just as long as the user doesn't overextend themselves using them. IE, if you use the motor to go five miles, you have the ability to paddle five miles back to shore if the motor dies. Those of us who've been kayak fishing for a while started either with paddle or manual pedal drive systems, and after a while, we learn our physical capabilities. For the new guys who jump into the sport with a motor right from the start, I worry that they don't realize their own capabilities. Just knowing how to paddle efficiently without fatiguing yourself is an invaluable skill that everyone should know and be ready to exercise when the time comes.
aMayesing Bros.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
if only,....youknow Hobie actually put some effort into it.  Sure it got the latest and greatest drives, but the Revo line never even got integrated gear tracks.  With the intro of the compass and passport line, anyone looking for a non-fishing pedal drive had options there that were more stable and cheaper

From their introduction, Hobie literature marketed the Revolution series as fishing kayaks.

Man I would venture even in the PNW that Outbacks and Pro Anglers outsell the revo's 2 or 3 to 1 at a minimum, and likely much, much more than that outside of the coastal areas, when I was in the south I didn't see one Revo in any of the shops I visited, and HUGE Hobie dealers at that. No true metrics to back this up aside from what I've seen on the water but they're going to invest in what sells and they haven't invested in the Revo line in some time.

If you talk to a dealer who knows you, you might learn that the Outbacks and Pro Anglers have the greatest markup - profit margin - so, just like going to a car dealer and seeing only bling-laden upgraded trucks in the lot, the Revolutions and the Quests weren't kept in stock.

As for the revo line, the 11 doesn’t really have a place.  It’s too short for big water stuff and most fishing, but too narrow to be super rec friendly (what does it do that the passport lineup doesn’t do for a recreational/non fisher?).  It makes sense for it to go.

The Revolution 11 was a no-nonsense boat with a carrying capacity of 275 pounds, making them ideal for people who are not as... uh... economy-sized(?) as me. bb2fish owns one and it's definitely a big water boat whenever she needs it to be.

I owned a Revo 13.  Second best boat I've ever been in, right behind the also discontinued Trident 13's I loved so much.  The Revolution didn't work for how I fish, sitting down a fly-fishing, because stripped fly line and Mirage drives are not best of friends, but it was fast and surprisingly stable given the hull design.  I always had confidence in it in all kinds of conditions.

Hobie didn't temporarily discontinue the Outback while upgrading it so it looks like the Revolutions are history.  I wouldn't hold out much hope for a replacement.  With the Outback, why would they need one?  Y'all are crazy about Outbacks and they also fill a niche as an entry level bass boat - something a new, narrow hull can't do.

With my sincere apologies to Spot, nothing screws up great fishing gear faster than a tournament - and bass tournaments have screwed up big water kayaks.  Fat, heavy and sluggish is what sells now.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I think motors are fine, just as long as the user doesn't overextend themselves using them. IE, if you use the motor to go five miles, you have the ability to paddle five miles back to shore if the motor dies. Those of us who've been kayak fishing for a while started either with paddle or manual pedal drive systems, and after a while, we learn our physical capabilities. For the new guys who jump into the sport with a motor right from the start, I worry that they don't realize their own capabilities. Just knowing how to paddle efficiently without fatiguing yourself is an invaluable skill that everyone should know and be ready to exercise when the time comes.

I agree with Clayman 100% regarding having two tested methods of propulsion, which is why I like the approach of having electric thrust working in parallel with a pedal drive.  In my case, I just finished moving my ROV thrusters to a side mount that I can deploy and un-deploy quickly (to clean out seaweed on the ocean or pedal without the extra drag), they tuck against the hull off the right side cupholder of the Outback, easy using Al barstock from HD, the controller is in the left cupholder and a pair of 20amp-hr batteries at the front of the rear deck, total weight of everything: 13#.  Testing at Siltcoos, video being worked on, I get 4mph wide open (with my normal extra 75# on the rear deck, woof woof), add pedaling and 5mph is easy, hit 6mph briefly, or I can pull the thrusters and pedal 3.5-4mph, or run them half open and easy pedal for 4mph all day long.  Those batteries would run them wide open over 2 hours, half thrust more like 8 hours.  And swapping to my 100amp-hr mini battery adds just 10# and gives me unlimited run time.  And of course I still carry a paddle just in case.

Provided my thrusters AND mirage drive don't both develop a fault on the same outing, I feel pretty good about going where I want and also, to quote another Oddball, "You see, man, I like to feel I can get out of trouble quicker than I got into it." (RIP Donald).
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I fished with a guide in Maui that uses thrusters (I think he is using the Bixby) on his boats which was nice with fighting the wind and just giving us that extra little boost.  Except for our return to port, he was just running them at partial thrust and we were able to pedal at a pretty reasonable pace/effort and keep the trolling speed up. 

The new Old town e-bike-style assist is a pretty interesting concept too.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2024, 11:34:47 AM by Shin09 »

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I fished with a guide in Maui that uses thrusters (I think he is using the Bixby) on his boats which was nice with fighting the wind and just giving us that extra little boost.  Except for our return to port, he was just running them at partial thrust and we were able to pedal at a pretty reasonable pace/effort and keep the trolling speed up. 

The new Old town e-bike-style assist is a pretty interesting concept too.

I also like the e-bike-style assist concept but if you have a catastrophic issue with it 4 miles offshore, long paddle to get home...

Shin09

• Salmon
I haven’t dug too much into it, but i would think you could still pedal, even if your battery or motor dies (I am just thinking E-bike where its assisting and could turn off if needed).    But really paddling any of those barges whether it’s a Hobie PA or an old town is going to suck.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
But really paddling any of those barges whether it’s a Hobie PA or an old town is going to suck.

REV series FTW.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
I haven’t dug too much into it, but i would think you could still pedal, even if your battery or motor dies (I am just thinking E-bike where its assisting and could turn off if needed).    But really paddling any of those barges whether it’s a Hobie PA or an old town is going to suck.

agreed, I was thinking more of the whole drive thing detonating, like happens (rarely) to Mirage drives, something that would take the Old Town pedal and electric assist both off line.  But I'm not that familiar with the Old Town pedal drives, perhaps they are bullet proof.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
So, can anyone with insider knowledge or one of the Hobie brostaff confirm that they're discontinuing the Revo13? It sounds like we think probably but also we're not sure at this point?

Shin09

• Salmon
Captain Redbeard with the ration question for the win!! I couldn’t find anything concrete on the hobie forums. When the AI was discontinued I recall MattM confirming the rumors.l

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
My two 2010 Revos are staying with me until they fall apart. Love the fit too much. I'm still rocking my original Eagle Cuda 250 from 2008 for my electronics.  Nothing I've seen is more durable, simple and battery friendly.

On a side note, I took my OG 2008 OK T13 out last week for a paddle.  Never getting rid of that yak either.

Hope the Revo just gets a small face lift, or rebadged, but not discontinued.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Shin09

• Salmon
Really they just need to incorporate some built in gear tracks on the gunnels and maybe update the transducer pocket.  I realize that probably requires new molds for both the top and bottom section of hulls, but maybe there is some efficiency there if you are not making wholesale changes to the hull shape.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Really they just need to incorporate some built in gear tracks on the gunnels and maybe update the transducer pocket.  I realize that probably requires new molds for both the top and bottom section of hulls, but maybe there is some efficiency there if you are not making wholesale changes to the hull shape.

drop down rudder with steering control on both sides would be nice adds.

Shad

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2022
On a somewhat related topic, I was about to buy a Revo 13 several years ago but balked thinking that Hobie was going to release a new revision. Here I am 4 years later, and I just picked up a 2017 Revo 13 with 180 turbo fins for a decent price. It was lightly used by retirees at their beach house, so it is in pretty good shape.

Question 1: For those Revo 13 owners out there, what size T-tracks do you recommend, and where do you recommend placing them?

I have seen gear tracks positioned parallel to the mesh pockets and in front of them. Which placement makes sense in the long term? I will be running a fish finder mount, trolling rod(s), and DIY downrigger (a very short rod in a rod holder with an electric reel). I am mostly trying to avoid plastic welding after finding that I placed the T-tracks too close or too far from the seat. I am leaning towards dual Yakattack GT90 tracks with backing plates, the 12" or 16" lengths.

Question 2: Are there any better track/rail options available these days?

I have tried Scotty, Railblaza, and Yakattack mounts/tracks/holders and prefer Yakattack accessories for the most part. However, Railblaza mounts look more refined on rounded composite kayaks IMO.

Thanks for any advice.

As of this point Hobie missed out on a full retail price purchase by not releasing a new Revo 13 with gear tracks. Granted I'd opt for an even narrower/faster/lighter pedal kayak if it was available. I also picked up a 26lb Epic V8 to consider for minimalist fishing, and it can catch fish...without rod holders or a downrigger.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 09:12:38 PM by Shad »

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I have a long GT90 on the left side, about lined up with the left pocket. On the right side, I have two short GT90 tracks above the side pocket that straddle the paddle keeper nub.

On the left side goes my fish finder head, sometimes another GPS, track-mount cleat for my stringer, and sometimes a 2nd rod holder.

On the right side goes my primary rod holder. I don't think I've ever used the forward portion of the right side gear track.

The backing plates are a nice convenience for making mounting easier (I've used them in other kayaks), but I couldn't get them to fit properly in that narrow area at the top of the gunwale on my Revo, so I used the included nuts and washers and it's worked just fine.

I'll try to get a picture of my cockpit next time my kayak's off the trailer.

anything