Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 09:09:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 16, 2024, 02:40:12 PM]

[October 14, 2024, 01:00:12 PM]

[October 13, 2024, 06:51:23 PM]

[October 13, 2024, 02:50:03 PM]

[October 13, 2024, 02:49:00 PM]

[October 11, 2024, 07:07:53 PM]

[October 11, 2024, 10:09:11 AM]

[October 11, 2024, 07:29:06 AM]

[October 08, 2024, 07:17:40 AM]

[October 06, 2024, 08:31:11 PM]

[October 05, 2024, 03:24:34 PM]

[October 05, 2024, 10:36:50 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 11:38:26 PM]

[October 04, 2024, 07:04:13 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 05:33:04 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Pepper and rogerdodger with a nice fall coho

Topic: Saturday in the Salt?  (Read 1341 times)

Beer_Run

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
Anyone else looking at getting out of Fogarty/PC on Saturday? Not perfect, but fishable?
- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

Adrift

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
I’m definitely looking at PC for Sat.  It’s been way too long since I’ve gotten out in the salt. 
The forecast couldn’t look much better to me, or am I overlooking something? 
Going to head out for salmon, then drop some big baits for lings.  Might even sink a crab trap. 
Anyone else?

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I'll be at PC setting up camp and catching a dory.
Short intervals, but low waves and light breeze should make for a great day.
Fogarty might be tricky launching with such a low tide.
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Fogarty might be tricky launching with such a low tide.
+1. PC is probably a safer bet.
aMayesing Bros.

Wilyakfish

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jul 2021
PC sounds good. When are folks launching?

Beer_Run

• Salmon
I will be staying in PC Friday night so will hit it pretty early. Thinking of being on the beach around 5-5:15am and on the water by 5:30-ish. Hope to catch the early surface rockfish action. Plan on spending a good amount of time looking for salmon. Anyone know what the action has been lately or what the water temp is running? I don't have a good online source for ocean water temp at PC

Also, anyone thinking of crabbing? It is a bit of a hassle unless the crabbing is good.
- Bob

Shad

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2022
I've been using this site to spot check coastal water temps:  https://coastalwatertemperatureguide-noaa.hub.arcgis.com

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
Not sure how much folks care about visibility… but fogarty fog has visibility limited to about 200yds this morning (yesterday too).

Beer_Run

• Salmon
Not fan of fog. Have been watching the PC Web cam. Low clouds there but clear view of the bottom 2/3 of the rock. Some dorys already coming in at 9:15 am. Hope that indicates great fishing and not crappy conditions.  :)
- Bob

Beer_Run

• Salmon
At PC. Conditions as predicted. Small surf and some decent wind. Forecast still looks to be much better tomorrow. Just talked with a local whose brother is a dory captain. Bottom fishing has been very good. His friend was done before 8a with two limits of rockfish and lingcod. Coho has been good the last several days. Should be a decent opportunity tomorrow to get some action.  Probably have cursed myself. See some of y'all on the water tomorrow
- Bob

tjpeck

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2021
I got a late start today out of Fogarty but glad that I got out there.
Lots of folks got lots of rockfish but I was stubborn … and got skunked trolling for salmon.
Nice day for a boat ride.  8)

Beer_Run

• Salmon
Got out early Saturday at PC in conditions that were somewhat less than advertised, but managed to stay dry launching and landing. Started trolling for salmon near the rock, but stopped in a small herd of dorys to drop a Lancer Waterdog. Quickly landed a barely legal ling but decided to let it go. 5 min later landed a decent 32" ling. Another 30-40 minutes only produced another small ling. Back to the salmon trolling out to 125'. Heard some radio chatter about some coho being caught in 275-300' so turned back to notice that I could see nothing. Pretty dense fog had rolled in. Thank goodness for electronics, iPhones and a good manual compas. Went to the rock pile west of the rock and landed 10-12 barely legal or underlings and then landed another decent 31" fish.  Looked around for some rockfish with no luck and called it a day around 10. First time out of PC in a long time. Realized some of the benefits of the AutoPilot 120 as I was back in the Outback. Was missing Spot Lock when fishing the rock pile. Being able to automatically go back to the beginning of a drift without looking is pretty nice and productive.

- Bob

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Appreciate the reports guys, thanks! Eager to see some warmer water inshore to spur the salmon bite.
aMayesing Bros.

Adrift

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2020
I got a bit of a late start, and left the crab trap in the truck due to the sketchy surf and fog conditions.  Headed out for salmon, and trolled a Brad’s Wiggler on the way just for kicks.  The Brad’s actually did really well last year in my friend’s PB.  It consistently caught the biggest coho of the day; no flasher, no weight, just the Wiggler on a 4’ leader, 100’ back, running around 10-12’ deep. 
I had a drive-by on the brads, just west of the whistle buoy in about 110 FOW. 
I take the treble hooks off, and run a single siwash hook on a bead chain off of the belly attachment, so they’re legal for ocean salmon.
I switched out to more traditional gear (Spinfish behind a 360) and caught a 20” hatchery coho around the 180’ mark.  After a really good springer season (netted eleven, tagged eight), the last one being an ~18# native.
That coho just looked so small!
I ended up releasing him, thinking that I would surely catch bigger ones.  Well, I didn’t get another bite after that.  Went almost 5 miles out, and hit 55 degree water, but finally gave up and came back in for bottom fish.   
It was a bit creepy being socked in with fog for the first 5-6 hours, but I used my electronics, and checked the compass a lot. 
The conditions got nicer throughout the day, and I came in around 6:45 p.m. with 2 deacons, 2 blacks, and a 30” ling.
It was so nice, I didn’t even get rolled in my PA14!
It ended up being a 21 hour day (11 1/2 of those in the kayak), from waking up at 0330, to finishing gear breakdown at 0030 Sunday morning. 
All-in-all, a great day in the salt, but 2 days later, I’m still recovering!
Looking forward to the next trip out of PC. 
Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 11:16:53 PM by Adrift »

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
FWIW - report from a couple dory guide friends.....

coho have been hard to find and have been really small in size
rockfish are plentiful, lings are there but the bite is hot/cold
crabbing is poor in the usual area south of the rock, most guides and commercial crabbers moved their pots a couple miles north of the rock
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10