Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 17, 2024, 09:00:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 16, 2024, 02:40:12 PM]

[October 14, 2024, 01:00:12 PM]

[October 13, 2024, 06:51:23 PM]

[October 13, 2024, 02:50:03 PM]

[October 13, 2024, 02:49:00 PM]

[October 11, 2024, 07:07:53 PM]

[October 11, 2024, 10:09:11 AM]

[October 11, 2024, 07:29:06 AM]

[October 08, 2024, 07:17:40 AM]

[October 06, 2024, 08:31:11 PM]

[October 05, 2024, 03:24:34 PM]

[October 05, 2024, 10:36:50 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 11:38:26 PM]

[October 04, 2024, 07:04:13 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 05:33:04 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Pepper and rogerdodger with a nice fall coho

Topic: Stability of Revo13  (Read 1004 times)

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I’ve been fishing a compass since 2018 and starting to find extended days are killing my back. Going to experiment with some Lombar cushions but also considering changing out for  a revo since it seems like long days in my TI are not as bad with the more adjustable seat. The one thing I am kind of concerned about is stability. I don’t stand and cast much but I do appreciate the overall stability and forgiving nature  of the compass when it comes to moving around on it. I also reaaaalllyyy have to mess up to tip it.

How tippy or easy to flip is the revo over the compass? I don’t care to jump up to an Outback due to cost or weight.  Could do an old town salty too I suppose

bernie3674

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2022
I have an Revo, and an 2022 outback. It feels not as stable as the outback, but mind you that revo has amazing secondary stability, which it works great in the ocean. Just add outriggers, you will be fine. I go out on revo in the ocean with outriggers no matter what. Also check out "kayak kushion", it's a must have for me on the outback.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I haven't pedaled the Compass. I imagine its width increases its primary stability over the Revo 13. But like Bernie says, the Revo 13's secondary stability is top-notch, and it can handle choppy water among the best of the SOTs. You can add the SideKick Ama Kit to increase primary stability.

aMayesing Bros.

Shin09

• Salmon
Thanks for the feedback! I always forget about the sidekick kit!

Shin09

• Salmon
Two more comments/questions:

If you crab, where do you put your pots on your revo? On my compass, they fit on the flat spot on the front really well.

For the men out there….how do you pee off the boat? With the compass, it was stable enough i could kneel and pee off the side (if it was flat) or just use a pee funnel and go down the drive.  The latter certainly possible on the Revo, but curious how you all relieve yourself out there

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
For the men out there….how do you pee off the boat? With the compass, it was stable enough i could kneel and pee off the side (if it was flat) or just use a pee funnel and go down the drive.  The latter certainly possible on the Revo, but curious how you all relieve yourself out there

On the REV16 a 32oz Snapple bottle works great... 

AMHIK my bladder is at least 34oz.

BigFishy

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2020

On the REV16 a 32oz Snapple bottle works great... 

AMHIK my bladder is at least 34oz.

On the Outback I get it done by getting on my knees and aiming into the pedal drive well.
2021 Hobie Outback

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
One thing that hasn't been noted (you mentioned moving around your kayak) -- the front hatch is kinda difficult to access on the water. Not impossible, just have to straddle the boat and navigate the peddles.

Can't help you w/ crabbing.

For peeing, I just lean over and pull my dick over the side. Of course pissing into a bottle and then emptying that is easier & cleaner...

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Revo's not ideal for crab gear. When I do crab from it, I stack rings in the rear tank well. I don't double-dip (crab and fish the same trip). If you want to do a lot of crabbing, Outback would be a better choice than the Revo.

For taking a leak, I unzip my relief zipper and aim for the drive well.
aMayesing Bros.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
If you like the compass and you like crawling around in it, you aren't going to like the Revolution - they were never that kind of a boat.  Go with the Outback.  The weight difference is just 14 pounds.  That's less than most Thanksgiving turkeys...   ;D
The fish bite twice a day - just before we get here and right after we leave.

Shin09

• Salmon
Tell that to my shoulders!!  It really the movement from my back yard and on top of my car where the weight is the worst.    I really like the idea of a more efficient kayak and when I bought my Compass I was strongly considering the revo, but at the time the idea of being able to stand was enticing.   I find I don’t really do that al that much so being able to stand isn’t THAT important anymore.  Having the compass be more FORGIVING of movement is certainly nice, and I suppose that;s something I have to figure out for myself.   

The new outbacks sure look nice, but I don’t want to spend that kind of $$ at this point.  It looks like I wouldn’t be shelling out that much extra to get into a used revo after i sell my compass at least.   Really comes down to the seat and how much better that could be for my back. 

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Tell that to my shoulders!!  It really the movement from my back yard and on top of my car where the weight is the worst.    I really like the idea of a more efficient kayak and when I bought my Compass I was strongly considering the revo, but at the time the idea of being able to stand was enticing.   I find I don’t really do that al that much so being able to stand isn’t THAT important anymore.  Having the compass be more FORGIVING of movement is certainly nice, and I suppose that;s something I have to figure out for myself.   

The new outbacks sure look nice, but I don’t want to spend that kind of $$ at this point.  It looks like I wouldn’t be shelling out that much extra to get into a used revo after i sell my compass at least.   Really comes down to the seat and how much better that could be for my back.
Try before ya buy…. The local shops have demo days a little $$ donated and you can test ride. I can’t do the plastic as a seat for long gotta have a chair, I also can’t do the Hobie straight back and forth peddle, kills my hip, but the propels from native don’t not much different in movement but a lot in arthritis pain.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I have hundreds, if not thousands of miles on mine. Only rolled it crabbing and combing back in the surf. Great boat for Puget Sound, specifically fighting current and maneuverability while jigging Chinook.

anything