Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 05:23:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Spot lock options for a Hobie Outback  (Read 611 times)

tdspence

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
I recently started fishing with a friend in some bass fishing tournaments and have caught the bug. When I go out to those spots by myself in the kayak, it can very very challenging to keep my position in the river. I am sure I will get better at anchoring, but it still would be much better with spot lock and save time and a headache. What I am finding in my research is people put on a motor with GPS built in like a Xi3 or mount an Autoboat GPS to a Minn Kota trolling motor. Does anyone have experience with either on their pedal kayak?
2021 Hobie Outback
2020 Lifetime Tamarack

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
I have tested the AutoBoat system off the bow and stern of my Outback using the Newport 36# kayak motor, with good but mixed results.

Good:  AutoBoat system works great, remote and phone app, and it's control box takes over running the motor, you can remove the entire top of the trolling motor and just hook it to the red/black wires and seal up the top with foam/silicon.  The anchoring works great, I gave it a good test in moving tidewater at the submerged jetty in lower CoosBay, it made crabbing really fun, but I did need to turn it up, the 'kayak' setting didn't have enough power in that moving water, changing the setting to allow more power and it worked perfectly.  I think it would be very good on the Columbia. It is also easy to move the AutoBoat system stuff from motor to motor.  I also have the 55# Newport motor and have tested that off the stern.

Issues:  New Outback design does not like weight in the front, slightly bow up reduces drag and splash, part of why I have so much success having Pepper ride on the rear deck.  Motor off the bow made it easy to tilt it up to reduce drag/clean seaweed but even with my 19# battery way back near the rudder, too much weight up front, negative impact on the behavior of the Outback on the water and less efficient/lower top speed.  Motor off the stern, using the existing hull mounting nuts and Newport motor mount works great unless you want to pull up the motor in non-smooth conditions or if you have milk crate or a 75# dog on the rear deck.

Observation: having this sort of trolling motor in the water totally changes the Outback, it is no longer an easy to pedal kayak to about 2mph, with drag quickly increasing above that, becoming substantial by about 3.5 to 4mph.  The trolling motor, if it isn't helping, make you work right from the start and the boat doesn't glide, is slows quickly.  In situations where the anchoring and motor assist is important, this system is great.  Because I have my 'off the side ROV thrusters' for most outings, I am only going to be using the AutoBoat system for crabbing outings in moving tidewater.

cheers, roger   

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

tdspence

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2021
Thank you for the feedback. I really like what I have seen on the Newport 180 pro. I prefer to run it off the stern, but I do worry about the extra weight. I may have to invest in a trailer if I upgrade too.
2021 Hobie Outback
2020 Lifetime Tamarack

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Thank you for the feedback. I really like what I have seen on the Newport 180 pro. I prefer to run it off the stern, but I do worry about the extra weight. I may have to invest in a trailer if I upgrade too.

I think if you would be just fine with a 14# 180 Pro on the stern and their 22# battery (or equivalent) at the very front of the rear deck.  (That is a sweet motor.)

If you wanted to put other stuff/weight on the rear deck, you might consider putting the battery in the bow hold.  Based on my experience, including a dozen ocean outings (in relative smooth conditions) the new Outback performs great loaded with normal gear plus 185# in the seat and 75# on the rear deck (that can move but has a great understanding of low center of gravity...lol), great hull design unless it gets bow heavy.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 06:46:17 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)