Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 05:11:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Goodbye, Ocean Kayak  (Read 1228 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Goodbye Ocean Kayak, friend to larger paddlers and maker of longer hulls.

With the advent of peddle and power, your new owners have deemed you useless above 12 feet , overall.

Gone are the Tridents and the Zests,the Scramblers, too and anything bigger than the Malibu 2.

Apparently a canoe maker from New England thinks they know best for those of us who aren't slight in mass and vertically challenged. May they wake up one day, stranded on an island.

While I seldom wet my yak these days, my old girl still calls. " come, one last time, it'll be fun, just like the old days when we both were young."

Long I've looked for a younger sister of her lines and grace, to give my girl a respite from her age

Olde Towne , ye've  earned my wrath, some young MBA gave you convoluted fuzzy math.
As of July 12th, I am, officially,  retired.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Amen Brother.  Amen...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Wow, how things have changed. Sad to hear this :'(

Well, the upside to this is now my 2008 T13 will go up in value.  :headbang:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I feel sorry for all the recent adopters of kayak fishing who have only been in bargey motorized bass boats.  It's a shame they've never experienced the T13.  A great platform and the one that hooked me on the sport.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 08:01:04 AM by snopro »

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
My wife and I never adopted the pedal style yaks. We still have our four Tridents, two 11"s and two 13's.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I feel sorry for all the recent adopters of kayak fishing who have only been in bargey motorized bass boats.  It's a shame they've never experienced the T13.  A great platform and the one that hooked me on the sport.

Hooked a lot of us.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org

Preach....I feel same way

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I just retired my OK P13 and was shocked by the changes in the industry.  It seems the only brand still with a recognizable product line is Hobie.  The sub-$1k offerings have pretty much vanished entirely along with SOT's designed to be paddled more than leisurely in flat water.  The pedal and motor offerings are insane.

Much like Richard, my OK still beckons but it needs some serious reconditioning after sitting unused for quite a few years.  In the mean time I'll be in my stubby & chubby Tupperware (Lifetime Tamarack Pro).

snopro

• Sturgeon
Bringing things full circle.  Has anyone tried https://swellwatercraft.com/?  Looks like they have some Ocean Kayak in their ancestry, which isn't suprising considering Tim Niemier was involved.  They even named them Scuppers, after the OG Scupper pro I'm guessing.

The Scupper series looks exactly like the type of ride I've been lamenting the death of.  Would love to take the 16 out for a test ride.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
You're right. That is full circle. What a blast from the past!

And, Hello again, old friend. It's been a very long time

bogueYaker

• Lingcod
  • Pace the halls and climb the walls
  • Date Registered: Aug 2019
Bringing things full circle.  Has anyone tried https://swellwatercraft.com/?  Looks like they have some Ocean Kayak in their ancestry, which isn't suprising considering Tim Niemier was involved.  They even named them Scuppers, after the OG Scupper pro I'm guessing.

The Scupper series looks exactly like the type of ride I've been lamenting the death of.  Would love to take the 16 out for a test ride.

I bought a 14 from them last year -- my biggest complaint is that it's nearly 10lbs over the advertised weight of 64lbs. The boat itself is fast and stable but not really laid out for fishing. Had I known it was so heavy I'd have just bought a Stealth Fusion 480 for nearly the same weight/price.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2024, 10:57:37 AM by bogueYaker »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

I don't see what you're seeing.  Jim Sammons did the most work tuning and perfecting the Trident and Prowler Big Game series before leaving for Jackson kayak. I don't see much resembling his work in the Swell lineup, but it's good to see the resurrection of the Scupper and I hope they manage to persevere and grow.

Separately, I'd like to know what a pedal drive unit costs the companies - including cost of development to be fair - because they love to add a couple thousand to the cost of their pedal-powered kayaks.
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

snopro

• Sturgeon

I don't see what you're seeing.  Jim Sammons did the most work tuning and perfecting the Trident and Prowler Big Game series before leaving for Jackson kayak. I don't see much resembling his work in the Swell lineup, but it's good to see the resurrection of the Scupper and I hope they manage to persevere and grow.
Makes sense.  You're thinking of the wrong yaks. The boats Sammons influenced occurred later than the models reminding me of Swell's offerings.  Look at the Ocean Kayak Scupper and Scupper Pro and I think you'll see a resemblance.

Kind of a moot point now. With BY's post I've lost interest.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Makes sense.  You're thinking of the wrong yaks. The boats Sammons influenced occurred later than the models reminding me of Swell's offerings.  Look at the Ocean Kayak Scupper and Scupper Pro and I think you'll see a resemblance.

Kind of a moot point now. With BY's post I've lost interest.

I know the Scupper Pro, but not the Scupper.  Missed bogueYakker's post or I'd have kept quiet, because you're right, that information makes it kind of moot.   Too bad.

anything