Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 05:50:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Tarpon 160 time - input please  (Read 8975 times)

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Ok, tax return is finally back, and now I'm ready to get a SOT.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a Tarpon 160.  With this decision comes two questions:

1.  Should I get the T160 Angler version or the regular version?  (and why!)

2.  Where can I get a good deal on one?  I don't mind driving to Oregon for a good deal and not paying 10% sales tax!

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
$200 difference between angler and non-angler =
-3.5 lb Anchor w/ Bag ($20)
-2 flush mount rod holders (x2 $10/ea)
-1 scotty rod holder ($20)

So, you can save yourself $140 by going non-angler and installing those items on your own, with the added advantage of getting the exact rod holder you want, the exact placement you want, etc. etc.

Come down here to Portland.  Alder Creek has the Tarpon, and is barely across state line.  Would be a shorter drive for you than it was for me when I got my kayak! They usually have the 160 and the 140 on hand, so take them both for a paddle before you choose.  the 160 is a lot of boat!
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I was looking at the Tarpon 160 at Alder Creek when i bought my Tarpon 140. They had a blue one rigged up with a rudder system. Looked like a seriously ominous fish hunter for the big water. Can't recall if they had the pole holders installed. I really liked it, but it seemed kinda long. The rear cargo well is huge. You could throw a party back there! Or at least bring along a kid or a large dog.

The Tarpon 140 is about as large as a boat that I want to cartop, and I thought the T-160 was just a tad bit larger than what I want to horse around loading/unloading (but I'm just an over-the-hill, skinny old man, with no kids or dogs). My T-140 feels like it weighs close to 70 lbs. and that's already over my self-imposed upper weight limit for what I want to car-top. I like the Tarpon in whatever length, though. If I win the lotto, and build a fleet, I'd surely get a T-160!

By the way, Nanook sold me my boat. We carried it down to the dock behind the store for a test paddle, and he showed me how to lean it over on its side for carving a turn just using the bottom contours, chine, and "secondary stability". He claimed the boat could be maneuvered well without a rudder if you know how to paddle, and recommended I try it without the rudder. Since my boat is pre-rigged to accept a rudder system, making a self-install easy, I took his advice.

I haven't taken the boat out yet. I have been out in my john boat twice, and my Ultimate 12 once, since I brought my Tarpon home. It's getting antsy and would be feeling neglected if I hadn't been out in the garage spiffing it up and sweet talking to it the last couple of days. Maybe it will get to frollick in the brine later today.

Anyway, the customer service has been outstanding at Alder Creek both times I have been there. Nanook (Jason) offered great experienced opinion and advice, and the price was right, at 15% off and no WA sales tax.
Jason, it was great to meet you, and thanks again! :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 09:52:28 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
I might have paddled that blue one a couple months ago >:D

Tarpons are slick boats, but they are heavy.  I couldn't believe it myself when carrying a 140 down to the water behind Alder Creek. I'd figure that 140 weighs the same, if not more, than my T15.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Thanks TN, I'll definitely get the standard version.  I like the idea of the slidetrax system for depthfinder and rod holder, with the depthmaster behind me.

Cone:  I guess it won't hurt to try a 140.  I definitely want a rudder though, plan to do a lot of downrigger fishing. 

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Lee,
look at backpackers supply there at s. tacoma way and 52nd street, the sportco and west marine in fife,
and also talk to the folks from outdoor play. i really wanna say that backpackers had both a t140 and a t160 in their showroom. as you go back there, look to the far right. thats where they've started stowing the SOTs.

also, these guys are more local and have been really nice to me when i went in there.

Alpine Experience
408 Olympia Ave. Northeast
Olympia, WA 98501
Phone: 360-956-1699
Email: rplank@alpinex.com

and,

Back of Beyond Outdoors
181 Winslow Way
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
Phone: 206-842-9229
Email: udowald@earthlink.net

either should be able to help you find that wilderness groove you're looking for.

oh, and, Back of Beyond also sells the Native brands, too if you change your mind.
[WR]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

HBH

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
i have paddled a 160i for two summers now...i did not buy the angler version, i did buy with a rudder though and find that i dont use the rudder much lately...i also own a trident 13 and the trident definitely is heavier than the 160i...i think a little shorter (140i) would be OK but i love saltwater fishing so i opted for the biggest model i thought practical no regrets on the 16 foot version so far...it does take a bit of balancing to get loaded up on top of my expedition...i am very happy with it and it paddles very smooth.  I also have a t13 and it is a very good comparable boat also...it seems much heavier than the tarpon and yet several feet shorter

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
oh, bother.  :o sorry, i didnt realize that Alpine was reorganizing everything, to include their site!!
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Backpackers supply is about 5 minutes from my house.  Guess I'll look there today. 

I sent a PM to Nanook, but I don't think he's logged on in several days.  I really want to try getting it in Oregon.  Being able to demo it before I buy it sounds really good to me.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
REI dropped the price to $1049.

Anyone know if the scuppers are big enough to fit a transducer?

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

Anyone know if the scuppers are big enough to fit a transducer?

I wouldn't even worry about it. Most people are shooting through their hulls, anyways. Do a little searching and you'll find lots of ideas on how to mount a transducer inside your hull.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Backpackers supply is about 5 minutes from my house.  Guess I'll look there today. 

I sent a PM to Nanook, but I don't think he's logged on in several days.  I really want to try getting it in Oregon.  Being able to demo it before I buy it sounds really good to me.

Lee,
Nanook has been up in the San Juwans the past week or so and last post of his was dealing with how well his handlines worked...he also said he was headed back about this time of the week if i read it correctly. maybe he'll sign in before he leaves.  :dontknow:

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Finally got in touch with him through PM.  Thanks   :)

Should have my new tupperware this Friday, and I have a Scotty Depthmaster and an Eagle Cuda sitting on my couch.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:28:40 AM by Lee »

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
This boat is so easy to paddle.  When I'm just paddling around, cruising speed is 3.8 to 4.3.  I got it up to 6.7mph for a bit yesterday screwing around on the way back to the launch. 

Very stable too!  Zero problems lowering/raising downrigger.  Sliding forward to get to my rod is easy too. 

jself

Nice. It's got more glide than any OK or WS SOT for sure. Great for covering lots of miles, but kind of a beast to haul around if you're not going the distance.

I honestly like the tarpon hull better than any other SOT. multi-chine and a keel give it such better performance than the others. Quick to respond to edge and strokes, and a good turn of speed with less effort because of the length.

Let's see it in action.