Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:55:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Oregon Coast Drive Thru ... July 4  (Read 5283 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I need to drive a car up from San Jose to Seattle so I thought I'd make a trip out of it and take a long 5 day weekend.  I'm open to either ending up in Seattle on July 4th or leaving San Jose on July 4th.  Final dates to be determined by availability of others and/or weather forecast.  I'm open to suggestions about new areas to check out.

boxofrain, if you can swing a day, I'd love to fish with you.  I'll probably make a stop in Eureka, CA to fish with some of the guys there.  Then do the short hop up to Brookings and fish in your neck of the woods.  Unless I can talk either you to come down or them to come up.

fftw, sturgeon trip on my last day?

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Pole,
 My wife has taken that weekend to vacation as well.
IF she has no plans, I'm into it!
 What are you wanting to target? Power boaters are getting a fair share of the Salmon off shore, but the wind only allows a couple of hours in the wee AM, most seem to be off the water by 9 or so this time of year.
 The baitfish are starting (2 weeks) to enter the Chetco, this means Salmon may follow in for a yaker to catch. Sea-run Cutty's are what I have been after for a few weeks now, as they are entering the river with the tide as well.
 Rock fish for sure, Blacks mostly but a few Cabezone and Vermillion taken also. I' have seen some good sized ones in the cleaning station lately 'cuz thats where I get my crab bait, OH YEAH, we can allways throw traps for sea-bugs at any time or weather. If you want a crab dinner while here and we hook up, no problem, lotsa Dungies here.
 I think the big factor on the Ocean here is the wind and short time out, not much fishin' in an hour!
 The best bet is to wait for the annual Kite Festival, there is never any wind then!! :D
 Keep me posted and Take Care in your travels!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

Wannabe

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
I you wanna fish off the N central OR coast (Newport - Tillamook) I'm sure we can put something together. Beverly Beach? Cascade Head? Cape Kwanda?

I'll bet some of the guys in the PDX area would be interested in coming down too.
--
Mike

Hobie Revo
OKM2XL

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Sounds good!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                So is your last day the 3rd or the 7th? (or the 4th or the 8th). Bottomline, YES! I'm in. Might be able to sneak in two days. ::)
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Sounds good!
So is your last day the 3rd or the 7th? (or the 4th or the 8th). Bottomline, YES! I'm in. Might be able to sneak in two days. ::)

You tell me which is more convenient.  I can do either dates.  If boxofrain can do the 5th/6th, then the 7th/8th which is on a weekend may be better for you guys from Portland.  Again, just let me know and I can plan either way.

-Allen
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 02:06:51 AM by polepole »

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
Pole, No need to plan around me. Just let me know which dates you are going to be around and I'll try to make sure no inspections are scheduled for then.
 Since I posted a bitch about the wind, it has been flat for two days now, BEEEEEAAAAAUUUUUTTTTIIIIFFFFUUUULLLL!!!
 While fetching crab bait at the local cleaning station, I saw the biggest LING I can remember.
 My head would easily fit in his/her mouth!
Take Care

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Alright then, let's plant a stake in the ground.  I'll leave San Jose on July 4th (or perhaps July 3rd evening and get a jump on things) and plan to fish anywhere from Eureka, CA to Brookings, OR on the 5th and 6th.  Then I'll head up the coast and meet whoever can make it out that weekend.

-Allen

Wannabe

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2006
I'll have to get the weekend formally cleared by my social coordinator, but the 7th-8th sounds perfect!

I'd be partial to Cascade Head though I don't think any of us have tried it yet. It's a good midway point and appears pretty good from Google Earth and 2nd had reports through Fulltimenut. Beverly is a nice put-in and a good fishing spot, but man, I would not look forward to dragging my yak down and up the 5 full flights of stairs from and to my car again...  :'(

--
Mike
--
Mike

Hobie Revo
OKM2XL

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Wish I could join you guys.... I'll be trolling for giant redband trout in Upper Klamath Lake and the Williamson River :)

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Working on a 2 day pass. Looks like Fri/Sat 6/7? Got a birthday party on the 8th.

BTW,
I emailed Brian (the surfer we met at Beverly Beach) and he's up for a trip and has lot's of local water level knowledge. And that was 6 fights (sic) of stairs if it was one.  ;)
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
FFTW,

I don't suppose you could make it down to Brookings for Friday morning fishing.  I think that's where I'll be that morning.  That's like 6 hours from Portland.

So much water to fish ... so little time to do it all ...

Or perhaps I will leave San Jose on the 3rd evening and plan to fish Eureka on the 4th, Brookings on the 5th, then meet you somewhere up the road on the 6th.  Lemme think about that some.  San Jose to Eureka is ~6 hours, maybe more with traffic.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
The coastal weather looks to be building later in the week.  I'm going to keep an eye on it, but if it still looks nasty I may just push north faster and hit up the Elliott Bay salmon opener this weekend in Seattle.

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
Pole,
 You are correct in the assumption about the weather starting to build. As long as we have clear cloudless days on the Coast here in Brookings, the wind is allways present by 9 am.
 A few boats still head out in the early morning for those coho ( had a slab from the neighbor last night).
 Today we are grilling the first Tuna of the season for us!!! ( same neighbor, large power boat).
 Getting the jars ready this weekend for the annual Tuna canning derby we seem to put on at our house every year, around 20 cases this year.
 No matter the weather, if you pass through Brookings, give me a call. I'll buy ya lunch!
 Take Care and be SAFE.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Arrrgghhh ... this feels like an episode of "when good plans go bad"!

So I got into an accident this morning with my other car.  Don't worry ... no one was hurt, but my car needs some front end work now and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to leave on the 4th.  It all depends on whether I can get the car fixed before then (tomorrow!) otherwise I don't have a working ride here.

Oh the frustration!!!

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Glad to hear you're not hurt buddy. Take your time though, the fish will still be here and I have no doubt you'll find a way to get 'em in your yak. 8) Gimme a holler when you're back in town.. we never did get to have that beer.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

anything