Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 07:51:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Finally ready...  (Read 3197 times)

WaterGirl

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2007
Okay hubby and I finally have collected all the pieces, we got the yaks, the pfds, paddles and a way to haul them to... that is where my question comes from. Where should we go? We are both relatively new to kayaking. We want to head to someplace easy to get a feel for our yaks. We live in Newberg, just west of Portland on hwy99w. I am not sure about the Willamette which would be closest because of all of the fast boat traffic.
Any suggestions??
Thanks,
Watergirl!!

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Henry Hagg lake is a great start for fishing Smallmouth Bass and to get your feet wet, but there is a lot of boat traffic (get used to it). The Tualatin is another easy spot to try, good small mouth population (as of this morning). There is a nice trail and only paddle traffic. tualatinriverkeepers.org   Actually the Willamette in your neighborhood is pretty quite and another great spot for smb.

Finally, don't let the boat traffic scare you. Last Tuesday I was on the Columbia and two HUGE car carriers passed me at speed. I was in 20' of water and tossed my anchor line to avoid getting washed away. Result? Nothing happened. The kayak barely raised and lowered as the wake passed. But when it hit the shallow flat behind me (7'-1' deep) it made a surfable 3' breaker. Moral of the story is stay in deeper water and practice your bracing. Try not to take them right on the ear (broadside) but even then most wakes pretty much just roll under your boat. Just remember to balance from your bottom (NOT the top)  Its really only when the wake hits shallow water that makes problems. Especially when you're getting out.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
The fishing is only so-so, but Sauvie Island has miles and miles of shallow lakes, wetlands, and connecting channels to explore, all within a wildlife refuge.  No power boats, and very little boat traffic of any kind. 

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
A couple of books I have found useful are:

"Oregon's Quiet Waters: A Guide to Lakes for Canoeists & Other Paddlers" by Cheryl Mclean

"Northwest Flatwater Paddling: a guide to lake and bay exploration in Washington and Oregon" by Toby Berry

Both of these will point you at some great paddling that usually has great fishing as lagniappe. I think Powell's has both of them.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Watergirl...I'm very new to kayaking - been out 3-4 times - and I spent about 5 hours today paddling on the Willamette, launched from Roger's Landing in Newberg. My wife and I moved up from McMinnville a month ago and are interested in fishing from kayaks. I don't know the name, but just upstream from the landing is a good sized island. The main channel follows to the left and has lots of boat traffic (even on a Monday). The right option is very peaceful, calm water with lots of little, hungry fish (mostly bass and cutthroat?). I did see a large, unidentifiable fish roll on the surface but was unable to tempt with any of my flys.

Which kayaks did you end up getting?

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Welcome steelheadr!  What kind of yaks are you currently paddling?

-Allen

ThreeWeight

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
I've been meaning to get out and try paddling upstream of Oregon City.  The little trout-like fish you were catching are most likely salmon and steelhead smolts, not cutthroat (water temps are too high in the lower Willamette for cutthroat).

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
rentals.... :-[ :-[ :-[

Welcome steelheadr!  What kind of yaks are you currently paddling?

-Allen

"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again