Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 03:56:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: How's it going w/ your new Revolution  (Read 8733 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Holt, how's it going with your Revolution?  I started kayak fishing last spring with an Ocean Kayak T13A.  I like the boat and have gotten pretty far rigging it, but I have a chronic elbow problem and while proper paddling technique helps, paddling still hurts my elbow.  Prophylactic vitamin I helps during the event, but I suffer post.  Also trying to troll and paddle while watching Zee pedal started my brain working.  I have finally arrived at envy, and, God help me, I am considering another yak, a mirage drive.   Looking at the available models the Revolution seems to be my best choice, so I am wondering if you would care to give a review of the Revolution and the mirage drive after having lived with it a while?  How is the layout of the boat?  How are you rigging it?  How do you like the rudder?  How does one control the rudder while pedaling? 

Soon I'll head down to Hobie Seattle and look around, but your comments would be very helpful.  Thanks.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

holtfisher

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Ahhhhhh, I do love this Revo. It is well built, not tippy for me. First day out peddled 10 miles and dinked around during a 4 hour period and it was delightful - was not at all sore during the days afterwards.  It is light enough for me to load on the Rav4, it cradles in front and back Shark saddles.

Safety, during the demo I dumped the Revo then climbed back in a few times and it was really easy to get back into the seat. 

The two round 8" hatches )midship and astern seal wonderfully.  No issues on the larger front hatch. For access in the area just behind the seat I will likely add an additional 8" hatch so that I can use nuts and bolts for rigging if needed.

I believe it was Maddock that suggested that I purchase the Sailing Rudder (larger for great steering) and the ST Turbo fins.  I did both and am tickled!  Rudder works great although I did have some issues on the front end and had to work through it.  The Hobie website was very helpful along with the dealer.

It is a joy to peddel.  I still can paddle when I choose to work the upper body.  I have lower back issues and find that the peddling action is really good for me.  When I am at rest or talking to someone my norm is to throw my legs over on each side.  Works great.  When needing access behind me, I just swing to the side with both legs, make sure I am centered then reach for what I need behind me.  For me the rear hatch is not reachable, due to having my crate just behind the seat.

The two net holding pockets, one on each side of your knees are great. Use them for storage of small but needed items.

I have used Scotty mounts, two in front (one on each side) one holds the color GPS/Fishfinder and the other handles the rod holder (on an estension).  Mounted one Scotty mount in the stern just behind the 8" hatch originally for the night light, however found that I could not get to it while oh the water.  So, will leave it there and it may be handy when tying gear down for wilderness camping.

Not a lot of real estate to mount stuff, so go slowly when drillen and cutten.  Revo Roy and others have great input.

Once I began to dream of wilderness camping with my Revo, I really wondered if I could get whatever gear was needed to be self sustaining  for 3-5 days.  As I learn more, am finding that this appears to be very doable.  I like to be comfortable. 

Rigged a front to back anchor pulley system, however not tried it out yet.

Hope I covered enough for you.  Ask any questiones. I know also that others with the Revo will be glad to chime in. 

The length and size for me is great.  I still feel that 16' Adventure is too much boat for me.

BTW, the plug in Hobie Trax fat tires cart is well worth it.  Also it can be flotation if you carry it on board.  Also you will probably give up internal ability to carry as much gear, however for me it can be dealt with.

As a side bar, have an NSR mission dry suit and find it very helpful.

I picked yellow for safety purposes.

I sure enjoyed purchasing from the Bellevue dealer, Hobiecats Northwest.  I since found out there is a dealer in Boston Harbor and have found them to be very friendly and just down the street from me so to speak.

For me peddeling is wonderful, and the back up is paddling.  Still no fish in the boat, however  will work on that.  For me the Revo works superb and look forward to future use.

Let me know if you want me to bring it up to Tacoma for you to try it out.  I get up that way for business every couple of weeks. Remember to dump, thump, and try to drown it so that you really  ;D
holt 
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

demonick

• Sturgeon
Thanks!  How do you control the rudder since your feet are on the pedals?  Does the rudder pull up out of the water?  Hobie of Kirkland/Bellevue has moved to Sand Point, Seattle.

I am with you on thinking the Adventure is too much boat for me.  I am very comfortable with the length and width of the T13 and the Revo is quite similar. 

I've checked the photos on the Hobie site, but some features are still hard to see.  Does the Revo have a mast mount forward and between the pedal location?  Do you use the built-in rod holders?  How big is the rear livewell?  Does the mirage drive lock in place so in the event of a huli it does not fall out?
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
How do you control the rudder since your feet are on the pedals?
Left hand
Does the rudder pull up out of the water?
Yes, quite easily and securely
I am with you on thinking the Adventure is too much boat for me.  I am very comfortable with the length and width of the T13 and the Revo is quite similar.
Be sure you take one out before removing it from the list of options.  The added length doesn't decrease stability as much as you might think.  I does add speed, which in turn expands range and makes trolling less work.
Does the Revo have a mast mount forward and between the pedal location?
Yes, forward of the pedals in the tallest portion of the hull deck.  Quite solid, actually.
Do you use the built-in rod holders?
Yes, to store poles I'm not actively using.
How big is the rear livewell?
Big enough for anything I'd need...
Does the mirage drive lock in place so in the event of a huli it does not fall out?
Absolutely.  And the newer mount than mine is very secure and quick to detach, but only if you want to.

;D
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I agree w/ YM here. While the Addy is a big yak it's only 2.5 feet longer and 1.5" narrower than the Revo. The difference in performance is notable and agree that you should get out there and try a few and see which suits you best. If you're going to be trolling a lot the big Addy is best in class.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

holtfisher

• Lingcod
Yak Monkey's responses are really accurate.  It occurs to me as I look at responses for the Revo, and Adventure throughout the form, that possibly we older guys tend towards the Revo. "Kalitype" may have some input here. 
If I were 30 years younger, am pretty sure I would opt for the adventure so that I could go fast, troll easier and maybe carry more for wilderness camping. I did test the Adventure and Revo before choosing. For sure try out all possibilities as much as you can, and dump, bump and crawl all over them. Yes the Sandpoint guys are great!
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Yes the Sandpoint guys are great!
holt
Hobiecatsnorthwest.com
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

demonick

• Sturgeon
It appears the mirage drive fins simply extend and lay against the bottom of the hull when not engaged.  I assume the drive is not mounted in the boat until one is afloat, so no dragging the boat across the sand or rocks with the drive in place.  Correct? 

demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
It appears the mirage drive fins simply extend and lay against the bottom of the hull when not engaged.  I assume the drive is not mounted in the boat until one is afloat, so no dragging the boat across the sand or rocks with the drive in place.  Correct?  

Correct.  Just plop 'em in whenever you want.  On the water or not.  Turn the knobs to lock 'em down and peddle away.  I rarely keep 'em in when I beach it, unless I'm struggling to hold onto a thrashing monster with spikes in its back.
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

holtfisher

• Lingcod
The new mirage lock is just drop in place and your on your way.
A bungie exists inside the yak that when hooked, holds one pedal (either one) back which inturn holds the fins up against the bottom of the boat when you choose to do this.

You can pedal in shallow water for example just by shortening your stroke. 

You can pedal backwards simply by instantly pushing on both locks (new version) and lifting the drive out, turn it around and drop back in place, then peddle normally and back you go. Use the rudder (sail rudder is worth having) as needed.  When you want to go forward just pull drive insert for forward motion and off you go.
holt

Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Deep Color has the older boat with the "1/2 turn" knobs to hold the drive in. The new mount (like Holtfisher) is much simpler to use. Just drop the drive in and it "clicks" into place.

Reverse, on the other hand is not that simple. Well, actually it is, but its just not as easy as it sounds. Its a whole lot easier to unleash the paddle for a quick correction than to unlatch the drive, pull out the 2' long unit, turn it around and drop it back in place. Even then it only goes backwards.

Not the sort of thing you want to do at the base of Willamette falls during Shad Madness (DAMHIK)::)

The other "necessary" mods are the sailing rudder (as previously mentioned), the Turbo fins (spendy, but worth it), counter weights* for the pedals (a 3-4 oz sand dollar weight on the back of the bottom of the pedals will keep them right side up and facing you), and a leash for the drive is a very good idea.

*I'm really surprised Hobie has not incorporated that one yet) :dontknow:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 07:32:19 AM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

demonick

• Sturgeon
Great responses and advice from all - thank you.  Are the counter-weights available from Hobie or do I just take a sledge-hammer to ball weights? 

BTW I have made coin weights from ball weights and use them for shore fishing onto sand - but NOT good for snaggy spots.  They tend to sail in the water unlike a ball weight so when you reel them in or jig them up they hop off the sand and sail through the water much longer than a ball.
demonick
DomenickVenezia.com

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Deep Color has the older boat with the "1/2 turn" knobs to hold the drive in. The new mount (like Holtfisher) is much simpler to use. Just drop the drive in and it "clicks" into place.

Reverse, on the other hand is not that simple. Well, actually it is, but its just not as easy as it sounds. Its a whole lot easier to unleash the paddle for a quick correction than to unlatch the drive, pull out the 2' long unit, turn it around and drop it back in place. Even then it only goes backwards.

Not the sort of thing you want to do at the base of Willamette falls during Shad Madness (DAMHIK)::)

The other "necessary" mods are the sailing rudder (as previously mentioned), the Turbo fins (spendy, but worth it), counter weights* for the pedals (a 3-4 oz sand dollar weight on the back of the bottom of the pedals will keep them right side up and facing you), and a leash for the drive is a very good idea.

*I'm really surprised Hobie has not incorporated that one yet) :dontknow:

I can't believe my yak is old already.  Its almost like...they do it...on... purpose.  (Looking over my shoulder now)  "Honey...sorry but I need to buy a new kayak."
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
OEX sells a purpose made weight, but a ball and hammer works just fine. I said "sand dollar" for lack of a better term, but I meant those flattened "coin" weights. Actually, any weight that fits on the back of the pedal conveniently would work.

Old is relative DC. I think they changed last year (Zee?)
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

holtfisher

• Lingcod
Additionally, spotted on page 28 of the new Hobie Parts and Accessories catalog some rubber pasty things (Pedal Pad Kit) for $5.95 to put on the pedals so that the foot does not slip.  Think this is good idea, may be a DIYS.
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive