Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 25, 2024, 04:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Oregon Rockfish Classic 2010  (Read 9171 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I want my Washington Kayak Fishing Classic!!!!

-Allen

Sheesh!

F'n Californians.....     >:D
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

-Allen

Uhmmm.....Okay  :-\

Please start a thread on that and we'll see what the folks up there can put together. 
But for the sake of this thread being called the "Oregon Rockfish Classic 2010", I'm inclined to think that it should be held in......say....Oregon?   ???

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

-Allen

Uhmmm.....Okay  :-\

Please start a thread on that and we'll see what the folks up there can put together. 
But for the sake of this thread being called the "Oregon Rockfish Classic 2010", I'm inclined to think that it should be held in......say....Oregon?   ???

"The folks"?  What folks?  Has someone in Oregon stepped forward and volunteered to help put this thing on?  I wonder who has been organizing the NWKA tournaments for, oh say, the last 4 years.   ::) ::) ::)

Did you know that the first and second NWKA Classics were held in WA?  We switched to Oregon 2 year ago to spread the love.

Right back at you!!!   >:D >:D >:D

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
We'll get to planning the ORC 2010 but we're still rounding up sponsors for the 2010 AOTY. It's a lot of work so so patience is appreciated. We're planning on getting the planning started around March.

As to location I like Depot Bay and would like to keep it there this year. It has the easiest launch of the entire Oregon coast which means it not only will let entrants of most skill levels participate but also will be less likely to be cancelled because of a big swell. While we did have to change plans last year any other location on the OR coast would have been much worse.

I'm looking forward at getting a good rockfish tourney running this year so please do the appropriate weather dances to make the gods happy. :)

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Okay then..... :icon_salut:  Put it back in Washington.  Put it in Idaho, I really don't care.  Allen, if you got a good location for a crowd of yaks to go catch rockfish (hence rockfish classic), throw it out there and we can start chewing on it.   

As far as volunteering to help out with this thing, I'm doing what I can with what I have to work with.   I'm just trying to see if we can start picking away at details earlier in the year, so that we don't frazzle those that head the Grand Poobah part of the event.

My thoughts are, if we can bang out some details, we can get ahead, and cruise right into the event.  If everyone knows where we're going, what we're doing (including all the backup venue details) and when we are doing it well before we see the tail end of Spring, more folks may be willing to sign up MUCH earlier than last year, thus raise the bar for attendance.  We raise the attendance level, maybe the big name sponsors that provide the 1st-3rd place goodies can actually have said goodies at the event, ready to go home with the winner.   Or am I just thinking too far outside the box here?   :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
"The folks"?  What folks?  Has someone in Oregon stepped forward and volunteered to help put this thing on?  I wonder who has been organizing the NWKA tournaments for, oh say, the last 4 years.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

:hello:

I think the problem is we started calling it the "Oregon Rockfish Classic".  I don't remember how that name came into being.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
In my experience, worrying about a backup plan is thinking too much about it.  If it gets called due to weather, or changed at the last minute due to weather, such is life.

And trying to figure out a location by popular opinion is opening up a can of worms.  While we try to keep everyone happy, there is just no way to do it.  Most people are like you INSAYN ... pick a place and they'll go to it.  And that's great.  While we're open to suggestions, if you really want to get this going, volunteer to help out.  I'll gladly put people in the loop to handle logistics like arranging delivery of the prizes beforehand.  Or I'll gladly hand over worrying about a backup plan to someone else.

OK ... Depoe Bay on July 31.
And ... Neah Bay on June 12.
And ...  Moutcha Bay is on Aug 28-29 this year.

-Allen
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 10:02:59 AM by polepole »

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
My thoughts are, if we can bang out some details, we can get ahead, and cruise right into the event.  If everyone knows where we're going, what we're doing (including all the backup venue details) and when we are doing it well before we see the tail end of Spring, more folks may be willing to sign up MUCH earlier than last year, thus raise the bar for attendance.  We raise the attendance level, maybe the big name sponsors that provide the 1st-3rd place goodies can actually have said goodies at the event, ready to go home with the winner.   Or am I just thinking too far outside the box here?   :-\
On the contrary my good friend we doubled the participation from 2008. I think that's pretty good growth. We had huge sponsors last year, and huge prizes considering how many people attended our event. Big kayak fishing events like those held in Florida and Southern California get entrants by the hundreds so the big name sponsors know where to put their product. While we only had participants in the 20's last year we had a Kayak, PFD, Fishing rod, etc etc.. I think it was pretty amazing. And as far as having the product at the tournament  for the winners, some things come in many sizes. Like kayaks, PFDs and the like. We won't know what the winner's size will be or, in the event of a kayak, what size/model they want.

I hope this sheds a little light on your questions and thanks as always for your input. I think this year's ORC will go smoother again for it.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

hydrospider

Is the ORC at Depoe Bay confirmed on 7/31??
a few of the Team B-port guys want to participate and we are trying to plan ahead.
Right now it would fall between the annual eastern sierra trip and our trip to La Jolla.
Its going to be tough but if we can plan this far ahead it would really help us out.
thanks

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Spidey, I'll be nailing down specifics at the beginning of March. PM me if you Have any gen. questions.

Z
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 02:04:44 PM by Zee »
2010 Angler Of The Year

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Zee, thanks again for all your hard work in making the 2009 ORC a reality! I know that the weather didn't have our tournament in mind, but you still managed to make the event something special!

Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Zee, thanks again for all your hard work in making the 2009 ORC a reality! I know that the weather didn't have our tournament in mind, but you still managed to make the event something special!

The weather seemed fine, it was the ocean that was pissed off.  :o

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
you can say that again... good greif, from the observation deck in depoe, i looked south to see what looked like 30 footers hitting the cliffs 5 miles down beach.!! right in front of us wasn't very pretty either :o
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

jself

Are the dates set yet? I'd like to put in my time off request now. Working out time between san juan trips.

jself

And....Alder Creek would like to be involved again this year in some form or fashion, if you guys are interested.

anything