Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 05, 2024, 01:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:11:41 AM]

[Today at 06:59:54 AM]

[Today at 06:32:06 AM]

by PNW
[August 04, 2024, 03:25:38 PM]

by cb
[August 04, 2024, 12:17:24 PM]

[July 31, 2024, 08:53:56 PM]

[July 30, 2024, 12:49:55 PM]

[July 28, 2024, 06:27:37 PM]

by [WR]
[July 27, 2024, 01:17:13 PM]

[July 26, 2024, 09:54:52 PM]

[July 26, 2024, 04:29:49 PM]

[July 24, 2024, 06:41:23 PM]

[July 22, 2024, 07:59:05 AM]

[July 21, 2024, 07:28:29 PM]

by DBam
[July 20, 2024, 09:29:46 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Garage Kayak Storage  (Read 44549 times)

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
We'll be moving to a bigger place toward the end of June and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the garage. I'd love to be able to fit both kayaks, all my tools and two cars. It'll be tight though so I was hoping to get some ideas on how everyone else is storing their kayaks. The garage has high ceilings so I was kicking around the idea of some sort of hoisting system. Would love to see any pics of how everyone is storing their kayaks. Thanks!

Noah

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
me too---just built a carport, so thinking of hanging our 2 Hobies under the overhang.....
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
Wish I could help, but my garage is a model for no one.  It's simply the family dumping ground for all things not wanted in view of guests or neighbors.  Even when I spend the whole day cleaning it up, it reverts to it's previous sorry state as if by magic.  To top it off, the spring just broke.  I never knew how heavy an old garage door is without the spring.  I can barely get it high enough to slide a milk crate under it - then I push all my kayak stuff out, walk around the long way, and load the truck.  Ahhh well - such are the perils of garage management.   
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
My only advice is do not try to build your own hoisting system unless you like falling boats and holes in your ceiling.  If I still had a garage I  would get a Harken Hoister

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I use these.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664230

Then I set my 3rd boat on 2 foam blocks, and lean it against the wall underneath the two hanging. I'll attatch a pic later.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

crazyeyes

• Perch
  • 2011 Hobie Adventure
  • Date Registered: Feb 2011
You might check out Costco online they have a pretty sweet double Kayak rack that is freestanding for $179. I keep on eyeballing it but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
If it wasn't for flashbacks, I'd have no memories at all.

Stumblefish

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I need to store mine in the house, most of it in the living room. I plan to have this one on its side, bottom to the wall. My plan is to use 2  2" web straps around it, then some leftover pulleys to raise it to the ceiling. I might try to do the same thing but alter it by raising it top to the top, but not sure if this is appropriate considering hull flexing. I think i can make quite an expensive debacle of this with a beer or 2 and a few ill advised imbellishments.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
If you want to hoist them up to the ceiling, you could get these from Costco for $27.99

Or these from Harbor Freight.  I recently picked up the Harbor Freight set.  Looks identical, but much less expensive and different packaging (also was not a 2 pack).  It was $9.99.   It also says it can only hold 50 pounds.

They say the capacity is 50 pounds.  However, it is designed to screw into the rafters in two spots and the 10 provided screws are cheap (kind of soft).  They stripped almost instantly and a few broke.   I bought a set a long time ago and there has been a kayak hanging on them for years.  However, I screwed mine to a 2X4 with as many screws as there were holes(20).  I also used stronger screws.  The 2X4 was screwed across 3 or 4 rafters using 1/4 inch lag bolts.  The rope I used is what came with the hoist (not of good quality), but you could replace it with better rope.  As a safety precaution, I have two pairs of hooks screwed into the rafters near the bow and stern.  I put the tarp straps I use for holding the boat to the roof rack of the car on these hooks and tighten them up so the boat hangs above it from the hoist, but most weight is on the straps.  The straps can completely support the boat if the roe were to break.

-Craig

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Noah,
Look up the posts from HBH.. he has a really nice rack for his gear in his garage and shared pics with us about a year ago...

all you Harken Hoister boosters, get on Squidgirl to post up picks of the hoist system she made for the two tridents at the house. and there isnt a 50lb limit using the stuff she used.
As of July 12th, I am finally, officially,  retired!!! Since the new life is an open ended format, who knows where I'll end up.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
We'll be moving to a bigger place toward the end of June and I'm trying to figure out how to set up the garage. I'd love to be able to fit both kayaks, all my tools and two cars. It'll be tight though so I was hoping to get some ideas on how everyone else is storing their kayaks. The garage has high ceilings so I was kicking around the idea of some sort of hoisting system. Would love to see any pics of how everyone is storing their kayaks. Thanks!

Noah

You are asking too much from a garage.  Unless you get nasty grams from a HOA, or have heavy break ins in your area for parking cars outside, leave the cars in the driveway. 
Then you have all kinds of room.   I've been in my house for 15 years and parked cars in the garage for the first year.  Got tired of no work space, so outside they go. 
The wife and I came to resounding agreement when after she said she wanted her car in the garage.  I said, you have the whole house to put stuff, I get the garage (man cave).  If your car goes in the garage, my tools and stuff go in the living room.  Her car is fine out side.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Noah

You are asking too much from a garage.  Unless you get nasty grams from a HOA, or have heavy break ins in your area for parking cars outside, leave the cars in the driveway. 
Then you have all kinds of room.   I've been in my house for 15 years and parked cars in the garage for the first year.  Got tired of no work space, so outside they go. 
The wife and I came to resounding agreement when after she said she wanted her car in the garage.  I said, you have the whole house to put stuff, I get the garage (man cave).  If your car goes in the garage, my tools and stuff go in the living room.  Her car is fine out side.

Preach on Brother Insayn.  Garage houses my tools which were used to build the cabinets to remodel her kitchen.  And, she damn well better be in there cooking my supper as I type this!  God, I hope she never reads this.  I would be grounded for 3 weeks!  Anyways, we get the cars in once  a year, or so.  Then a new project starts.  I am trying to finish up the latest cedar strip kayak I am building with/for a co-worker.  Then I have to finish this baby:

At 18.5 feet, it will have to fit in the garage at an angle to varnish it.  It will be the family truckster.  Wife and kids paddle, I fish.....I think???

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Stumblefish

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Good, you all get me thinking.
My situation , i want to get the boat right up near the ceiling , say 2" or so. Gonna raid my old climbing gear for some pullies n 'biners. Other idea, is a quick lift using 1"x4" lumber have. Butt them up to the wall and just lift it at once..... then strap in place maybe.
Extreme idea.....re-form the ceiling with a pocket/recess, parallel between the rafters, then the kayak is in the pocket. What i dont remember is are they 16"or 24" spread.......hmm...

KillFish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I was going use the hoist system bluewrxo2 has. I have found the kit at Lowes and Fredmyer as well. After reading some reviews on it, some complain the straps are too long, rope is cheap, and locking/latch system requires weird angle to unlock. I am going with something like this guy's. I need it to be able to suck up close (unlike his) to the ceiling to clear the top above the garage door. Shouldn't be hard to find quality parts.

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
++ on the bicycle hoist system. It's rated at 50lbs, but I have my Hobie Outback hanging on it. I installed it similar to what Craig described. I use 4" webbing from Seattle Fabrics and hang the Outback upside down. It was supposed to be a "temporary" solution until I found a more reliable system. A year later, I have two 90lb Harken's system ready to be installed as soon as I get my 2nd kayak.