Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 26, 2024, 02:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:51:03 PM]

[June 24, 2024, 01:01:07 PM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: NWKA AOTY (angler of the year)  (Read 104659 times)

floatin cowboys

• Lingcod
  • UHMMMM Pizza!!!
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
That sounds like a great idea. Any thoughts on adding a shell fish cat.. crabs, clams and such. I like the urchin searchin. Just a thought.
Matt
We may live without poetry, music, and art
We may live without conscience and live without heart
We may live without friends, we may live without books;
But civilized man cannot live without cooks

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I like the idea of shellfish, but I'm a little concerned that they are awfully hard to measure properly for a competition like this.  The only real way to do it right that I can think of offhand would be for everyone to have a set of measuring calipers and I doubt that would happen.

However, I think that their could be unofficial categories for shellfish so that people can upload and show off their prize catches.  If we figure out a good way to measure them we could include them in 2009.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I like the idea of shellfish, but I'm a little concerned that they are awfully hard to measure properly for a competition like this. However, I think that their could be unofficial categories for shellfish so that people can upload and show off their prize catches.

I like the idea of unofficial categories since I don't really think it fits under the moniker of AOTY.

Very looking forward to NWKA's first AOTY. Are we going to go for prizes and a trophy? If so I'd be happy to donate a sculpture for the trophy.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
Let's skip the shellfish for this year and see how we do with what we got.  Brian,  do you have the latest list and size normalization?

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
This is what I have so far.  The formula for points is 150/size and then rounded off a bit.  For the most part the points are very similar to those for the NCKA AOTY.  However, I rounded down on the smallmouth from 10 pts/in to 9 pts/in, split the salmon into Chinook and Coho as well as trout into trout and steelhead.  We've added panfish (there is much debate about adding panfish on NCKA) but whatever.  Oh, and we have a larger species of halibut so lower points per inch there.

Species"Decent Size""Points per Inch"
Lingcod   364
Rockfish    207
Cabezon    207
Halibut    453.5
Coho   305
Chinook   354
Panfish   (yellow perch, crappie, sunfish)1510
Steelhead   305
Trout   207
Largemouth Bass   208
Smallmouth Bass   179
Walleye   256
Sturgeon   602.5

I've also made some minor modifications to the AOTY application which will allow us to keep track of fish entries from multiple years worth of AOTYs.  All I really need to do is slap an NWKA logo on a copy of the application and we should be all set for the beginning of the year.

Brian

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Very looking forward to NWKA's first AOTY. Are we going to go for prizes and a trophy? If so I'd be happy to donate a sculpture for the trophy.

Z

Z, I didn't know you were a sculptor?  Cool.

Prizes are TBD.  I'm working on it, but is it enough for now if I just say that they'll be super cool?   ::)

Entry fee of $40 ... full payout on this as part of the prizes.  I'll get a Paypal account set up for this.

Brian, the list looks good.  Let's make it happen.  Let me know what I gotta do on my end.

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Allen,

I'll have Bill set this up... URL to be announced (hopefully http://aoty.nwka.org).

Once the PayPal is set up, I'll add a paypal link on the intro page of the application so that people can pay there.  The way it works is that people can register whenever, but their fish don't count towards points until after Jan 1 and after they pay.  So, really the only administration you'll have to do in the beginning is to confirm the AOTY users have paid (there's an admin page for this).  The other administration you might have to deal with is at the end if we have any questionable measurements/fish that need a ruling on.

I still need to find a few new fish icons.  I'm not sure how I'm going to get the two salmon to differ as well as the steelhead/trout difference using small icons.  Any ideas?

Brian

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
URL will probably have to be in the northwestkayakanglers.com domain ... aoty.northwestkayakanglers.com.  I don't have the nwka.org domain hooked in yet (it's still parked at a different hosting company).  Not sure if I'll push the nwka.org domain as it hasn't been used to date.  Although there is something to say about being able to just say nwka.org as opposed to telling someone northwestkayakanglers.com ... much shorter and easier to remember.  I'll look into it ...

I really appreciate your help on this.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Happy 08 NWKA bretherin!

BTW are we having an AOTY this year? If so I'm going to be recording all my fish.

Z

Yes, we will be having an AOTY this year.  But somebody is a bit late getting it up.  ::)

Hopefully before the weekend is through ...

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Yeah, I'm working on it.  I had to get the bugs out of the NCKA AOTY first.  Now all I have to do is rebrand it for NWKA and get Bill to install it.  Should be up in a day or two.

Brian

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
AWESOME!! AWESOME!! AWESOME!! Thanks for all your guys work! :headbang:

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Zee,

AOTY?  Okay, I'll bite.... what the heck are we talkin' about here?  What IS an AOTY?

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Zee,

AOTY?  Okay, I'll bite.... what the heck are we talkin' about here?  What IS an AOTY?

Fishin-T

See here ... http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,633.msg5194.html#new

It's basically a year long tournament.  You submit pictures of a fish recording its length and get a certain number of points per inch, variable depending on the species.  At the end of the year, the angler with the highest cumulative points of the largest fish caught by that angler for each species is our Angler Of The Year (AOTY!).  The AOTY wins a prize.  Also the largest fish in each category wins a prize.  Prizes are currently TBD, but I promise they'll be good ...

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Everything is ready on my end for AOTY (the programming), just waiting for Bill at NCKA to work with Allen to get it set up on the big server.  Oh and as per a feature request that Allen once mentioned, I've also added listings to rank anglers within each state/province (AK, BC, WA, ID, OR).

Brian

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Great to have the tech boys on our team. Big thanks to PapaBill @ NCKA too! Well, I have to work on some WAF w/ some good house work so I can get some time away to fish. As the host of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge always says... Let's get it on!!

If you don't know MXC it's classic:
[youtube=425,350]dpGw45FyvaU[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 10:01:15 PM by Zeelander »
2010 Angler Of The Year