Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:21:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 10:36:50 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 11:38:26 PM]

[October 04, 2024, 02:58:41 PM]

[October 04, 2024, 09:45:59 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 07:04:13 AM]

[October 04, 2024, 05:33:04 AM]

[October 03, 2024, 09:45:13 PM]

[October 03, 2024, 04:22:39 AM]

[September 28, 2024, 04:49:21 AM]

[September 27, 2024, 09:04:29 PM]

[September 26, 2024, 06:03:24 PM]

[September 20, 2024, 05:57:01 PM]

[September 19, 2024, 02:20:37 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 01:48:54 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Pepper and rogerdodger with a nice fall coho

Topic: Dry top and waders vs drysuit  (Read 12209 times)

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Which is better and why?

I had put the Kokatat Tropos on my Christmas list, and I guess my MIL was going to get it for me, but couldn't find anyone that had one in my size.  I already have chest-high neoprene waders for fly fishing and was intending to use that combo for yakking.  There's no relief zipper in those waders though.

But, I was thinking that maybe a full-on drysuit would be better.  But also possibly more expensive.  At the least it would buy me a relief zipper.

Thoughts?
2012 ORC 5th Place

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Which is better and why?

I had put the Kokatat Tropos on my Christmas list, and I guess my MIL was going to get it for me, but couldn't find anyone that had one in my size. 

Personally. I think a semi-dry is better than dry top and waders. 

A personal question, but what size are you looking for?  NRS has the Kokatat Men's SuperNova Semi-Drysuit in M through XXL. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
I'm ~6' and 200lbs.  Hoping to get down to 175lbs  ^-^.

Most of the time, depending on brand, either L or XL fits.

Stupid question.  Who is NRS?
2012 ORC 5th Place

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
A Kokatat in L will fit you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Stump here you go. http://www.nrsrescue.com/
I'm ~6' and 200lbs.  Hoping to get down to 175lbs  ^-^.

Most of the time, depending on brand, either L or XL fits.

Stupid question.  Who is NRS?

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 01:19:54 PM by [WR] »
As of July 12th, I am, officially,  retired.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Hoping to get down to 175lbs  ^-^.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, tightly hold onto your dreams my friend.

I was there once. :-)   I still have so much useful sh!t that would fit if I were still 175#er...but my crockpot ribs are too damn tasty.
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
Sorry for the bad link. That should be www.outdoorplay.com. not outsoor. Seem to have had a software malfunction.

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
As far as your Dry Top and Waders Combo vs. Dry Suite question .....   I think much depends on the fishing conditions.   
I feel very comfortable fishing in a Dry Top and Waders unless conditions could find me in the water not near shore and not able to quickly get back in the kayak.
I have experimented taking quick swims with the Dry Top and Waders and found I stayed dry,  but I was promptly climbing back in the kayak so my immersion time was maybe 30 seconds.     When I tried actually trying to swim some distance, as if my kayak were to get away from me,  water soon started getting in around the waste line of the dry top.     After that I promptly ordered a Dry Suite. 
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
As far as your Dry Top and Waders Combo vs. Dry Suite question .....   I think much depends on the fishing conditions.   
I feel very comfortable fishing in a Dry Top and Waders unless conditions could find me in the water not near shore and not able to quickly get back in the kayak.
I have experimented taking quick swims with the Dry Top and Waders and found I stayed dry,  but I was promptly climbing back in the kayak so my immersion time was maybe 30 seconds.     When I tried actually trying to swim some distance, as if my kayak were to get away from me,  water soon started getting in around the waste line of the dry top.     After that I promptly ordered a Dry Suite.

That's some of the sort of info I was hoping to hear.  I think I'll shop for a (semi) dry suit when I get the money put together for the yak. 

Looks like the Supernova semi dry suit is around $5-600.  Should be doable.
2012 ORC 5th Place

firebunkers23

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Before you spend $ 600 on a semi dry you might want to look at this pourpse designed drysute. They are a local company in Scapoose Or I have one of there suits and it has great fit and movement. Not to mention that if you have a problem you just have to drive to Scapoose to get your problem resolved.http://www.ossystems.com/surface/kfd.html

That's some of the sort of info I was hoping to hear.  I think I'll shop for a (semi) dry suit when I get the money put together for the yak. 

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Also, before you buy you need to try them on for size.  You will want plenty of room to layer up underneath for warmth.  In the cold weather I've worn, a long sleeve wicking polyprop top, an NRS union suit, then old style (fleece) REI polartec top and bottom, then nylon expedition pants so I'm not in my underwear on the beach.  Finish it off with thin wicking socks, and two pairs of smart wool with toe warmers in between. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Before you spend $ 600 on a semi dry you might want to look at this pourpse designed drysute. They are a local company in Scapoose Or I have one of there suits and it has great fit and movement. Not to mention that if you have a problem you just have to drive to Scapoose to get your problem resolved.http://www.ossystems.com/surface/kfd.html

I love my Kokatat, but If OS Systems would have had that one when I was shopping for a drysuit, I think I may have gone with it instead. 

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
I finally got enough fire wood sold to be able to buy the drysuit.  I settled on a Kokatat Super Nova Angler.  Got a polar-tec liner and some Cross 4 booties to go with it.  Should be here Monday.  Good deal from Outdoorplay.com on all of that.
2012 ORC 5th Place

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • ADTA.org
good to hear. other than a pfd, you;ve just purchased the major portion of your safety gear.

btw, for those still looking,  kayakproshop.com is still having a blowout sale on Palm and OS Systems drysuits, too. and NRS [ www.nrsweb] still has some smokin deals on suits for mostly smaller framed people.