Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 10:05:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Targeting Springers on the Columbia  (Read 12132 times)

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
What can I say? I've got the itch! I was wondering how many have been out around or with the hoglines downriver that start in March and April?

I've been researching old threads and looking at the Columbia's depth charts to see where the best places would be to target Springers from Cathlamet to Drano. My flashers are ready (as is my secret weapon - still in the baby stages but I'm hoping to employ it by April), my line is new, and my hooks are sharpened. I might have to just walk down to the Hood River to get some steelhead action.

Stupid two-month wait!

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Where exactly is Cathamet to Drano? I could provide some advice in the general Vancouver area if you ever made it down that far.

D rock

• Rockfish
  • www.kayakshed.com
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Ive been fishing the Hood River from shore the last couple of weeks and have not had any luck. Granted I'm new to this type of fishing and don't really know what I'm doing. I have seen a few fish landed two weeks ago but it has slowed down with the lack of rain. Now that the river is getting more water flow it should pick back up. PM or  swing by the Kayak Shed and I can fill ya in on what I know and have heard. Drano should be getting some action for sure about now!
Derek

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Where exactly is Cathamet to Drano? I could provide some advice in the general Vancouver area if you ever made it down that far.

I had the same question Noah. I know where Cathlamet is - about 1/2 way between Astoria and Kelso. Turns out Drano Lake is the impoundment behind Hwy 14 at the mouth of the White Salmon river near Hood River, so I am asuming that is the area he means.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
That's a big stretch!

I'd be happy to show you around the areas around Vancouver I know, which isn't that much. In the spring it's pretty much all trolling. Hit me up in a couple of months.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Will do. I've just been looking at some old F&H articles that cover springer fishing spots. I'll definitely have to contact people before getting out.

Is it too early to watch the counts? Waiting... Hoping... Wishing... My kingdom for a Springer!

True
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
ME!

There's a ton of area to fish between those two points.  Lots of different options for tactics as well.

The best way to get into a springer is to pick a specific area and copy what the PB'ers are doing till you get the hang of it. Learn the tactics and protocols for that area.  Once you get some skills under your belt you can start trying out new tactics or applying them to new areas. 

Use Google Maps to find easy launches around Bachelor Island, I5 bridge, Davis Bar, Frechman's Bar, Willow Bar (Sauvie's Island), Social Security Beach (Sauvie's Island) etc etc etc etc  all the way down.

I'm planning on offering both off the water and on the water Springer Clincs come March.   Anyone interested?

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

jstonick

ME!

There's a ton of area to fish between those two points.  Lots of different options for tactics as well.

The best way to get into a springer is to pick a specific area and copy what the PB'ers are doing till you get the hang of it. Learn the tactics and protocols for that area.  Once you get some skills under your belt you can start trying out new tactics or applying them to new areas. 

Use Google Maps to find easy launches around Bachelor Island, I5 bridge, Davis Bar, Frechman's Bar, Willow Bar (Sauvie's Island), Social Security Beach (Sauvie's Island) etc etc etc etc  all the way down.

I'm planning on offering both off the water and on the water Springer Clincs come March.   Anyone interested?

-Spot-

I would be very interested! I have not done this type of fishing before. I have done a lot of reading, but as the saying goes: " In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not". Getting some practice with some experienced folks would be great.

sherminator

• Salmon

-Spot-

You betcha! I've done very little fishing for salmon and I can use all the help I can get. I'd take time off for work, if needed, for a clinic. (Like missing work would take much arm twisting anyway)
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

kevbro

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Spot, count me in if you decide to do the classes.

This type of fishing is new to me so anyone going out I would like to tag along. I am willing to drive a long ways for the chance of catching a fish. Even if we don't catch anything, i still like to get out on the water.

I have drove up to Drano last year and decided not to launch. The boat ttraffic and wind were unbelievable.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Definitely interested in a springer clinic.

C

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I'm likely in as long as I can get away from work
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!

-Spot-
That offer is worth it's weight in springer meat! Don't pass it up! I can't wait for my second year of springer chasing to start! YAHOOO!

firebunkers23

• Lingcod

-Spot-
[/quote]

You can count me in. I have fished the Willy for springer's out of a PB but it will be my first year out on my yak and on the Columbia.

Sinker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I would much rather be up a creek without a paddle than down one.