Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2024, 12:19:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 19, 2024, 02:20:37 PM]

[September 12, 2024, 01:48:54 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: King Salmon Spinning Rod  (Read 8750 times)

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I'm looking to add to my arsenal of fishing rods..... 33 currently, and I'm thinking of adding a stout spin cast rod for catching kings and anything else it'll bring in.

Any suggestions on rods or reels?  Best length for yak fishing?
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'm looking to add to my arsenal of fishing rods..... 33 currently, and I'm thinking of adding a stout spin cast rod for catching kings and anything else it'll bring in.

Any suggestions on rods or reels?  Best length for yak fishing?

I noticed your interest in down rigging. Kings are a prime target. I'd recommend a level wind or bait caster for that application.

Even trolling with flashers and such a reel you can thumb down on while deploying will make your life easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
I noticed your interest in down rigging. Kings are a prime target. I'd recommend a level wind or bait caster for that application.

Even trolling with flashers and such a reel you can thumb down on while deploying will make your life easier.

I've got 3 rods set up for that....just curious if there were any benefits for a spinning rod to fish kings with
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
For me,  the only time that spinning gear has the advantage is if I need to cast very light weights.  Once I start tossing anything over about 1 ounce, and I can cast just as far with a bait caster.....   make that around 1.5 ounces if into a head wind  ;D
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I dunno ... catching a king on a 10.5' float rod sure is fun!

-Allen

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
No benefit...

Unless you are baitcaster challenged, like I am. I swore off bait casters back in the mid-60's, when the $15 one I had kept getting birds' nests every time I tried to cast with it. Gave me a complex about 'em. So I use spinning reels for casting spinners, spoons, and jigs (under floats) to Kings.

I have landed many Kings in the 20-30# range, a 31# (weighed) and 37# (calculated) on my spinning gear. Reel used was a Penn Spinfisher 450ss that I bought in 1982. Best rod was one that matched the old Penn, a Fenwick 8' med action (for 3/8 oz to 1oz lures, or 8-20# line). Drag is still good on that reel, but the anti-reverse is failing. I just replaced that with a new Penn Sargus 4000, which has no reverse. the Fenwick rod is still good, but I have a cheaper Okuma MH 8'6" I just got that I might use in the future.

The one issue I have with spinning reels and Kings is that I don't like to ever cast anything heavier than 12# test mono on a spinning outfit, so I can't really put the wood to 'em, but have to let 'em run. On my jig rod, my leader is usually 12# test fluorocarbon, but I was using 30# braid for mainline, even though I hate using the stuff on spinning reels.

I think I can go to 15# test with some relatively smaller diameter mono like P-Line CX premium (12# test is smaller diameter than 10# Maxima Ultragreen), and not hurt my casting distance too much (average weight spinner I use in the rivers is 3/8 oz, sometimes 1/2 oz, and rarely any heavier than 3/4 oz). I'll bet that with everything else being equal, I can cast farther with the 12# P-Line than I can with the 10# Ultragreen, and also farther with 15# P-line than 12# Ultragreen. So i'm ditching the Maxima for mainline use. I'll use up what I have for leaders.

But when trolling in the Bay or ocean for Kings, I always use my trusty Penn 209.  Same for trolling the lower rivers, in the tidal flux. In the rivers, I keep my spinning gear at ready, just in case I see something holding near the bank.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:00:38 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
No benefit...

Unless you are baitcaster challenged, like I am. I swore off bait casters back in the mid-60's, when the $15 one I had kept getting birds' nests every time I tried to cast with it. Gave me a complex about 'em. So I use spinning reels for casting spinners, spoons, and jigs (under floats) to Kings.

I too am baitcaster challenged.  It doesn't matter how hard I try, I always end up cursing a ton when I use one.  Thus, spinning rods are a mainstay in my fishing arsenal.  I just don't have one big enough for Kenai kings yet

9th place 2014 ORC

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I just spent 3 weeks in the sun shore casting a Penn 750SSm on a 10' rod.  Loved it.  Could easily cast 1/2 oz up to 6 oz.  50# braid, never any issue.  I may start using my light weight spinning rig (Shimano Spheros SP4000FA) for all my kayak salmon casting, or pick up a bit stouter 550SSm and another rod. 

Trolling and jigging I'll stick to a level wind. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I just spent 3 weeks in the sun shore casting a Penn 750SSm on a 10' rod.  Loved it.  Could easily cast 1/2 oz up to 6 oz.  50# braid, never any issue.  I may start using my light weight spinning rig (Shimano Spheros SP4000FA) for all my kayak salmon casting, or pick up a bit stouter 550SSm and another rod. 

750SSm sure is a heavy reel to be casting for salmon.  You'll love the 4000 class reel with braid.  That's about the right size ...

-Allen

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

750SSm sure is a heavy reel to be casting for salmon.  You'll love the 4000 class reel with braid.  That's about the right size ...

-Allen

I second that ... my 4000 is my heavy spinning ... 2000 is my light. I did just pick up a 4500 for hopes of tuna this summer!

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I took a Penn Fierce 4000 to Baja this winter and loved it.  Great reel for the money, no complaints, I will own more.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I dunno ... catching a king on a 10.5' float rod sure is fun!

-Allen

Yeah, it is! Twitching jigs sure is easier with a spinning reel as well. If casting for salmon I'll go for a spinning rod first. Berkley IM8's are nice and cheap-ish. Lami's Norwest Special is another good choice.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
Alright....you convinced me....Going to the store today to grab one.  That'll make 34 fishing rods in the aresenal

9th place 2014 ORC

jgrady

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2010
Only 34? I put together poles and reels like model airplanes. LOL I don't drink smoke or do drugs ..But Ive got a BAD fishing pole habit..I enjoy older vintage gear. but the way to get past bait casting is have a bunch to try till they are all birds nest and then use the spin reel..as for pole size,Long ,short,thin ,stout, big small,got them all still no fish on the board so what do I know.outsmarted by fish so far..

anything