Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 07, 2024, 08:26:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[September 05, 2024, 03:01:31 PM]

[September 05, 2024, 11:22:23 AM]

[September 04, 2024, 09:47:14 PM]

[September 02, 2024, 12:09:05 PM]

by Noah
[September 01, 2024, 04:06:28 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:23:48 PM]

[August 30, 2024, 04:20:39 PM]

[August 29, 2024, 03:06:34 PM]

[August 25, 2024, 04:59:53 AM]

[August 25, 2024, 03:39:19 AM]

[August 23, 2024, 05:07:56 PM]

[August 22, 2024, 11:03:33 AM]

[August 21, 2024, 07:23:43 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 06:42:19 PM]

[August 17, 2024, 07:15:19 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Homemade rod/paddle leash for less than $4  (Read 33383 times)

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
After looking for some time for a good rod and paddle leash, I decided I didn't want to shell out the ridiculous amount they are asking for some pretty low quality leashes. So... I made my own simple design.

Here's what you'll need:
-3-4 feet of coated cable ($.89 home depot)
-One set of Ferrule and stop set ($1.12 at home depot)
-Nite Ize S-Biner #1 ($.99 at harbor freight)
-Black Velcro strap (come in pack of 20 for $5, so $.25 each at harbor freight)

Grand total: $3.25.

Pics show how I put all the material together. Use a hammer to crimp the ferrule connecters to the cable. Clip a caribeaner on one end and make the loop on the other end wide enough to accommodate the Velcro strap comfortably.

To test the strength of the leash, I wrapped the leash around a 10 lb dumbbell, clipped the caribeaner to my workbench and dropped the dumbbell from workbench height. No problem. Inspected the cable and Velcro strap for rips and tears and found none.
I made 4 of these, two 4 foot ones for my kayak paddles and two 3 foot ones for my rod and net.
I also use these on the boat when taking people out.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:31:07 PM by Romanian Redneck »
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I think shockcord is a better choice. If you get tangled up in it, you can usually get some stretch and get enough slack to get free. When heavy mono or wire rope cinches up on you, you're snared.
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I picked up 20 feet of 1/16" bungee and a dozen end clips off flea bay for less than the cost of 2 typical store purchased leashes.   This gives me enough to build a good number of leashes for rods, net or anything else with plenty left over for other kayak projects.   

I also like the fact that the clips will break loose with a good strong pull if need be in an emergency.    I figure they need to be strong enough to keep things from getting away should I get a case of butter fingers. 

I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
That's the right idea. I use Scotty clips on one end and the cheap clips on the other. That way the cheap clip fails before you rip a deck fitting off of your kayak and do damage. I know it works because I was swimming in the surf with my paddle in hand and the kayak was flopping on the beach.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I want to be able to cut all my leashes if the need arises. 
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
+1 on what demonick said.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
+1 on what demonick said.

+1

Gotta be able to cut it, or I'm not using it.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I think you should convert that steel cable to a lock cable to secure your boats to your rack when left unattended.  I definitely wouldn't use that for a rod leash.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Point taken gentlemen. I found some great sturdy bungee cable online I'm bulk and will be redoing my design. Appreciate the feedback. It's my first year fishing out of a kayak and I'm finding alot of valuable info through trial and error and this site. 
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Point taken gentlemen. I found some great sturdy bungee cable online I'm bulk and will be redoing my design. Appreciate the feedback. It's my first year fishing out of a kayak and I'm finding alot of valuable info through trial and error and this site. 

We all have gone through the learning curve on most our innovations. I went through three different leash designs before i came to the realization that i can't stand leashes and rarely use them anymore. well for paddle or poles anyway, i do leash a couple smaller things like pliers and hog trough, camera because thats what i usually drop over board...
See ya on the water..
Roy

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

We all have gone through the learning curve on most our innovations. I went through three different leash designs before i came to the realization that i can't stand leashes and rarely use them anymore. well for paddle or poles anyway, i do leash a couple smaller things like pliers and hog trough, camera because thats what i usually drop over board...

Yea, that's what I said till last week. Breaking one rod on the way and flipping the other one overboard tends to make one re-evaluate his practices.  I went down and purchased two coiled bungee cords with clips.

S
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
One thing about I like about your design is the utilization of a velcro strap to attach the leash to the rod.  I wonder how it will hold up when it is wet though.  I have put little brass rings on all of my rod butts, but I used bungee (or zipties) to attach the ring to the rod butt.  I will probably explore the use of velcro because I have tons of those things laying around at home.  BTW, the coiled chord of an old cell phone car-charger works amazing for rod leashes... Jus sayin'!   ;D

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
can't stand leashes and rarely use them anymore. well for paddle or poles anyway

I wouldn't bother leashing my paddle either, if it was a stock Hobie paddle and it was already tied to the side of my kayak 99% of the time. As for not leashing your rods, that just shows your "pro guide style."

When my arms get tired from paddling and my hands get cold, my dexterity goes south. I don't get pro deals for replacing gear, so as big a pita as they can sometimes be, I still follow "leash it or lose it."

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
One thing about I like about your design is the utilization of a velcro strap to attach the leash to the rod.  I wonder how it will hold up when it is wet though.  I have put little brass rings on all of my rod butts, but I used bungee (or zipties) to attach the ring to the rod butt.  I will probably explore the use of velcro because I have tons of those things laying around at home.  BTW, the coiled chord of an old cell phone car-charger works amazing for rod leashes... Jus sayin'!   ;D

Rawky, I use the Velcro on some of my spinning rod leashes and water has no affect on them.

With the Velcro, you can wrap it tight around both sides of the reel base so it isn't really in the way of the hand to rod contact area.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I use the Velcro on some of my spinning rod leashes and water has no affect on them.

Admittedly, it has been quite a few years, but the Velcro I had on one my diving rigs would separate when submerged in water. The two parts would kind of float apart. It might not a problem when above the surface, but should you turn turtle, I don't trust Velcro to stay stuck together for too long.

There are different kinds of Velcro though. I use some at work that is hooks on both side (no pile side) that is downright tenacious. Might be that some types handle immersion better than others.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

anything