Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 05:28:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 26, 2024, 07:22:42 PM]

[June 26, 2024, 10:42:47 AM]

[June 25, 2024, 08:26:02 AM]

[June 21, 2024, 11:43:01 PM]

[June 20, 2024, 05:54:41 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 12:17:27 PM]

[June 18, 2024, 06:26:16 AM]

[June 17, 2024, 11:39:39 AM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Scotty Depthmaster Downrigger Setup (Finished)  (Read 11624 times)

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
OK so here's the deal. I'm looking to pull the trigger on a downrigger and I debated long and hard between the Scotty Laketroller and the Scotty Depthmaster. Ultimately the Depthmaster's breaking system and longer boom steered me towards it. The reason I haven't purchased it yet is because I'm having some trouble deciding now I want to install it. I have researched posts here, Hobie forum, NWKA, Canada Kayak Anglers, and Yakangler.com. Each one had posts with great ideas but I'm still at a loss.

I read Zee's article and his idea looks awesome but I don't have a Hobie livewell yet to mount the downrigger to like he did.
http://69.174.244.232/nwka/index.php?page=32;print

Demonick's setup looks really good too, I'm just not a huge fan of how it takes up the entire rear section of the kayak.
http://www.demonick.com/kayak/HMR/Downrigger/00.HMR.Downrigger.Mount.html

Here are a few intriguing mounting options, but they are mostly geared towards the Laketroller and not the Depthmaster.

http://www.yakfisher.net/smffiles/index.php?topic=7026.0

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=30278.0

http://anglingwes.com/downrigger-kayak-install/

I'd love some fresh ideas on mounting options from those of you who use downriggers. I'd also like to know if anyone uses the Laketroller and if it handles river and ocean fishing less than 100' decently.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:30:32 PM by Romanian Redneck »
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I've mounted it temporarily to my mini-x and more permanently to my Outback.  So I don't think these are going to be your solution but its two more ways I guess.

https://sites.google.com/site/kayakfishingalaska/techniques-information/downrigger-setup
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
Thanks for your suggestion. I actually saw your video on YouTube when I was doing my research. Your positioning is exactly where I want to out mine, just not permanently fixed. How do you like that penn downrigger? Looks pretty sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Thanks for your suggestion. I actually saw your video on YouTube when I was doing my research. Your positioning is exactly where I want to out mine, just not permanently fixed. How do you like that penn downrigger? Looks pretty sweet.

So far its been flawless.  I will admit I have been on the water more than once thinking that maybe the horizontal mounted reels may be an easier motion than the Penn's Vertical mount.  But no complaints so far.  The key is that 360 deg swivel base.  Don't need it but, it sure adds a lot of versatility in terms of positioning and being able to swing it out of the way.  I wish it wasn't so dang big and heavy.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I've been thinking about the same thing and I definitely want to be able to remove the downrigger easily and replace with different gear.  I want a very modular mounting system so I can quickly outfit the outback with the gear needed for whatever I happen to be doing.

I really like Quillbacks set up, probably the cleanest mod I've seen:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,7633.0.html

but he used oak for his reinforcement and the ABS is pretty thin.  I'm going to attempt to use his idea of an ABS plastic stern compartment.  I plan to change the design a bit by using some angle aluminum for the reinforcement and have it underneath the ABS.  This would provide a sturdy platform to mount pretty much anything and give the added benefit of the stern storage compartment.  I'm still trying to get it all figured out, but I thinks it will work and look super slick when finished.

Just a thought
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 10:04:46 AM by RumLuck »
Dave

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Did you run across the setup that Ravdakot and I both use for our depthmasters?

requires 2 milk crates and the DR can be removed to allow you to use the mount as a lidded cargo box.  Mine has rod holders as well.

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
Did you run across the setup that Ravdakot and I both use for our depthmasters?

requires 2 milk crates and the DR can be removed to allow you to use the mount as a lidded cargo box.  Mine has rod holders as well.

I vaguely recall seeing something about it Lee. I remember trying to figure out what type of milk crate you were using because it looked like it has a "top" to it. Do you have the link or DIY plans? I'd like to check it out.

RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
I don't have it handy, but basically, you cut the top off of one crate, to make the lid for your setup.  Weave one side together with 550 cord, and put a bungee latch on the other side.  Then you can mount the DR to the top of it (they come with a bracket that allows this)

Takes maybe a half hour to build it.

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
I don't have it handy, but basically, you cut the top off of one crate, to make the lid for your setup.  Weave one side together with 550 cord, and put a bungee latch on the other side.  Then you can mount the DR to the top of it (they come with a bracket that allows this)

Takes maybe a half hour to build it.

Sounds simple. Thanks Lee.

RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
I found yours and Rav's crate.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=4967.30

I think this is the design I'm going to go with.

RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
He put his in the middle, I put mine on the side, so the cable would be closer to the hull.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

olymanandthesea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I have had success with the Demonick set up.  I did not lose the space underneath the mount.  I place a dive fin bag with half a bag of ice under the mount to stow my catch.  when I return to shore I place the bag in my Ice chest with the other half of the ice, so as not to contaminate the ice chest, I then vacuum seal the fillets and use the clean ice chest to deliver fish to lucky family members.

Romanian Redneck

• Sturgeon
Well, I finished my downrigger setup. My version is a variation of Lee and Rav's milkcrate setup.

Instead of having a hinged top, I decides to mount my downrigger base to the side of a milkcrate instead of the top. I liked having the open side to store tackle or a fish cooler bag right behind my seat. I will use bungees to secure tackle inside the crate to keep things from rolling around during transport. I cut up an old cutting board as backing to secure the DR mount.

I replaced the standard DR cable with 300 feet of 80 pound Power Pro. I also added a salmon 6 bead swivel directly above the weight clip to keep the line from twisting. I picked up 12, 16, and 24 ounce ball weights from the Sportsmans show for less than 9 bucks total that I'll be using for lakes and the Columbia. I may invest in a 4 or 6 lb DR weight down the road for heavier current.
I used material I had in my shop to make the strap setup to keep the milkcrate secured to the kayak.

The crate sits nice and snug when tightened down. All in all, I'm happy with this setup. Now all that's left is to try it out :)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 10:32:01 PM by Romanian Redneck »
RR's Channel         

- Jeff Foxworthy

langcod

• Lingcod
Looks pretty solid. I think I like the milk crate on it's side better. Easier access and what not.

2015 ORC 3rd Place Winner

olymanandthesea

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
I settled with an 8lb pancake weight. It is hard to know how deep you are fishing with your downrigger straight behind you. Fishing for sockeye at low speed you can get away with cannon ball weights but at higher speeds like for Coho you'll want a weight that cuts through the water better.